Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy Sedan Back Seat Fold Down?

Hey friends,

Just bought a 1990 legacy sedan yesterday. Very happy with my purchase, but I'm trying to find out if/how I can fold down the back seat. It seems like it might not be possible, but I figured i'd ask here just to be sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

There are latches at the top of each fold down section that should have a small metal tab with a peice of cloth attached. Often the cloth is gone or the tabs are folded back where you can't see them. They fold toward the drivers side.

Use a flat head screwdriver to reach into the crease and find the latch and pull the tabs out.

There are latches at the top of each fold down section that should have a small metal tab with a peice of cloth attached. Often the cloth is gone or the tabs are folded back where you can't see them. They fold toward the drivers side.

Use a flat head screwdriver to reach into the crease and find the latch and pull the tabs out.

I used to have a 90 sedan, when I scrapped it out, the seats were bolted in. The upper part has two bolts holding it on and two tabs. Even removing the upper part of the seat will not give access to anything there is a metal support rod and cardboard behind.

The seats do not fold on the sedan.

I used to have a 90 sedan, when I scrapped it out, the seats were bolted in. The upper part has two bolts holding it on and two tabs. Even removing the upper part of the seat will not give access to anything there is a metal support rod and cardboard behind.

The seats do not fold on the sedan.

I have a set of grey mouse-fur seats out of a first gen legacy sedan in my 96 right now. They fold down. Maybe yours didn't, but they were available. Edited by Fairtax4me

• 1 year later...

I need help please,

I need to remove the upper part of the back seat on my 1999 Subaru Legacy sedan to replace the rear struts

I had done this on my 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon and it was much easier even did it on my brother's 1991 Toyota Corolla wagon and that was easy too but all the book says is to remove the rear seat to gain access to the mountain bolts for the top of the struts

It's just 4 12mm bolts. Two for the lower and two for the upper section. The upper section bolts are straight back between the cusions.

LS, LSI, and turbo models had fold down pass through seats. L models did not. Wouldn't help you anyway. Still have to remove the whole unit.

Edited by GeneralDisorder