Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new purchase missing cat converters = CEL

New to me 89 Forester has no converters, but has one bung welded in with one O2 sensor and runs great.  I will try to scrounge a whole stock system, but what I really want is a way to dual out the exhaust to free things up a bit and still use cats to be Mr. Green, and have no CEL on.  Hate to have to use aftermarket dual cats due to $, so what's the best fix?

Sorry for typo--My Forester is a 1998, not 89.  I am going to boneyard today hoping to get entire stock exhaust. So maozebong freeing up exhaust flow by using headers, free flow cats and better mufflers, coupled with intake improvements will not help fuel mileage?  I thought easy in--easy out usually is a good thing.

The un even pulses in the exhaust in these engines doesn't help to go dual all the way. You can go up a pipe size or 2. For EA82 engines, this makes a very small difference due to other limitatons. For a 98 forester, you really want to be in the newer generation sub forum. There are a lot of differences between anything before 94 and after.