Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale d/r problem, stuck in neutral

hello,

I have a 92 loyale and i just recently swapped the transmission to the dual range.  I got the car running and drove it around for probably an hour.  I had put the car into 4hi with no problems,  I popped her into 4lo and the car just stayed in neutral, the transmission would still shift into all gears put just wasn't connecting to the engine. Put it back into 4hi and 2wd and still stuck in neutral.  Im guessing something is up with the transfer case.  in 2wd the car will occassionally move a fraction of an inch.  Any ideas?

Try and move the linkage rod on the passenger side of the gearbox manually. There is a neutral position in-between the hi and low range that could be possible to be stuck in if linkages were sloppy enough.

Edited by maozebong

Im sure your just stuck between gears try shifting the transfer case while its in reverse or try pushing it backwards and see if it shifts if not jack it up so all 4 tires  are off the ground and turn the wheels backwards if the transfer case is bound up at all from turning on pavement or running different tire sizes on pavement it will not shift moving the car backwards frees up the gears alowing it to shift I knew a guy who had to drive backwards around the block for a hour before he could get out of low range the most I've ever had to role back was 20 ft mostly just need a foot out the car and a little push  to role back but some times I have to go back and forth a few times it depends on how jamed the gears are its probly a good idea to check the linkage over a few times to just to make sure that it moves both leavers all the way I think the front leaver on the trans shits high low and the rear shifts 2wd to 4WD if the linkage is loose and one of the leavers I sent moving all the way it could get stuck in neutral  it could be it bound up and the linkage is out of adjustment seeing as you just swaped it in its hard to say what's up with it I would assume it was driving before the swap and you sead  it drove after the swap in 2wd  so it sounds like it just needs some adjustments 

• 3 weeks later...

so i got the car to go in gear and now i have a new problem.  i thought i would try pushing the car a little more by driving it in a muddy field.  it got stuck and it grinds/slips while in 4wd under torque.  while driving there is now problem it just when the car is really under torque.  do i just keep trying to adjust the linkage or is there more going on?  is there an easy way to adjust without test driving in the mud?