Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I added an AUX input to my stock 97 radio

Using this pinout for the accessory CD player:

mcintosh_aux_input.png

Worked perfectly. I simply pushed wires into the pins on the radio, and then hot-glued them all to keep them insulated and in place. Then I ran the 5 wires, with a connector in the middle, through the center console past the shifter, to a panel-mounted switch and stereo jack

35939205841_9c2645702c_k.jpg2017-07-21_04-18-28 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Looks clean, and works perfectly. And cost less than $10.

Edited by Numbchux

You can get an inexpensive aftermarket CD player with AUX input and even USB in the $80 range for something like Pioneer, or go off-brand and save $20. If you can tolerate used, you can get a 1-2 year old for $25 that would have been mid-range when new. Would sound better than stock.

Edited by Bushwick

nice hit Chux.  was this a stereo, cassette, CD/Cassette, changer version...etc? 

if it's a CD version - I take it you don't have to run that "blank CD" trick like a lot of people do?

This is a Kenwood FM/AM/Cassette version (you may notice that it says McIntosh/Clarion on that diagram...it's pretty common). But from my research online, it looks like many of the CD ones have this plug that can be used with a CD changer. Either way, the blank CD trick, is so that the CD player will tell the Radio to go into an input mode, that's what the switch here is for.

You can get an inexpensive aftermarket CD player with AUX input and even USB in the $80 range for something like Pioneer, or go off-brand and save $20. If you can tolerate used, you can get a 1-2 year old for $25 that would have been mid-range when new. Would sound better than stock.

Oh, I'm very aware. And I've had a myriad of those cheap aftermarket units, and for the most part, I hate them. The interface is frustrating and clunky. They are more powerful, but I've had several cars that were a similar age where you start blowing speakers as soon as you drop in an aftermarket head unit.

No, this doesn't sound amazing, but being able to plug my phone into it, and play anything through the car's OE stereo is so nice. It has all the adjustments you need (bass, treble, fader, balance), all easily accessed without opening menus and garbage. It dims with the factory controls, it's extremely easy to set the clock, etc. etc.

I'll trade this over the JVC in my wife's Outback, the Pioneer in my Celica, and the Kenwood in my 4Runner any day (all have original speakers, and don't sound much better). The only aftermarket deck that I currently own is the Alpine in my XT6. And those aren't cheap, I did a quick search on ebay, and there wasn't a decent one listed for less than $60. And that still required a special cable (bought it on amazon for $8....) to have an aux input.

Edited by Numbchux

thanks chux.  i didn't see this option anywhere when i was looking a few years ago.

copy, i know the CD does that - so with the switch you don't need the CD.

The interface is frustrating and clunky. 

clunky - perfect description, i'm surprise how ambiguous they can sometimes make +/- buttons, on-off, AUX-in....  some people prefer a stock look as well.

but yeah Bushwick, for most people all the flavors of aftermarket are a great fit. 

thanks chux.  i didn't see this option anywhere when i was looking a few years ago.

copy, i know the CD does that - so with the switch you don't need the CD.

clunky - perfect description, i'm surprise how ambiguous they can sometimes make +/- buttons, on-off, AUX-in....  some people prefer a stock look as well.

but yeah Bushwick, for most people all the flavors of aftermarket are a great fit.

Yep, and the aftermarket ones bother me more than most people because I have so many cars, and almost all of them with a different aftermarket deck in them. And because I have several different cars, the batteries get swapped between them, or brought inside and put on a maintainer. Which means all my settings go out the window every time.

• 6 months later...

Hey all, thanks for the great info & discussion so far! This is something I've been wanting to do ever since I got my 99 LOBW & figured out my Monster tape deck adapter didn't work in it. I haven't been able to find a cleaning tape yet so maybe it's just dirty, but tape adapters always pick up a ton of engine/electrical interference noise it seems, too (maybe because I usually put the phone on the charger at the same time).

Couple of questions. Was this the stock Subaru AM/FM/WB/Tape radio with the factory option single-disc CD? That's what I have, but you mentioned Kenwood...is the Subaru OEM system made by them?

Also, I'm waiting on a 13-pin-to-3.5 jack cable to come from Amazon...figured I'd try that first. This works on the principle of the head unit thinking that the aux-in is a CD changer, correct? How does it "find" that input?? I see you have a switch, but...did the actual CD changer just send a signal to the head unit when you activated it? I'm hoping the cable I ordered to try will "activate" the line when I play music from the aux source, much like headphones or external speakers would.

The way you have yours set up, how did you find which wires in the female 3.5 connector were which functions (and what all wires are in that cable?)? Also, where does the ground go? I am just beginning to learn about auto electrical in school, so I don't quite have a full grasp of the concept, tho it would be no problem for me to install :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ostjone

It's this style radio:

001.jpg

But AFAIK, almost all the radios of that vintage had the same input port for an accessory CD player that would fit in a second DIN slot below it. The 13-pin port I'm tapping into is for that CD player (it sounds like you may have that CD player, which will complicate things, either delete your CD player, or a creative person could wire it so that the switch to activate the input would also switch sources).

That CD player connects those 2 wires when you put a CD in it, and disconnects when you take the CD out, which is how the radio knows to change input sources. The switch mimics that. I believe those adapter cables are designed for radios that have a "changer" button on the front, but you can certainly try it.

The audio jack I bought came with a little "instruction" sheet that said which tab went to what. L, R and ground all go straight to the audio jack. There's a good chance that the adapter cable you bought will not have pins or wires for the activation switch, so if it doesn't work out of the box, it probably won't be much help. 

A quick google search for "audio jack pin" turned up this:

TRS-Audio-Plug-Connections-2.png

It may also be referred to as ring, sleeve, and tip (Ground, Right, and Left, respectively).

It's this style radio:

001.jpg

Mine is *almost* identical, but I have the weather band version. So, on mine, the "FM/AM/Band" button on the top right says "Band/Pro" - not sure if this effects its function at all.

But AFAIK, almost all the radios of that vintage had the same input port for an accessory CD player that would fit in a second DIN slot below it. The 13-pin port I'm tapping into is for that CD player (it sounds like you may have that CD player, which will complicate things, either delete your CD player, or a creative person could wire it so that the switch to activate the input would also switch sources).

Yes, I do already have the Subaru optional CD player - was a standalone 6-disc changer also an option? That's what I was thinking was the scenario here...input for a remote 6-disc changer would be used for the aux-in. It sounds like the only way for me to retain the function of my existing CD player AND have an aux-in would be to splice into the control wires from the CD player, and have a switch that essentially "overrides" the signal from the CD player with the signal from the aux-in when activated? I'm not sure I am creative or knowledgeable enough to do that, lol. Electrical is pretty new to me; I'm in my first semester of an auto tech program, and we've just started intro to electrical. This is my first experience with wiring.

That CD player connects those 2 wires when you put a CD in it, and disconnects when you take the CD out, which is how the radio knows to change input sources. The switch mimics that. I believe those adapter cables are designed for radios that have a "changer" button on the front, but you can certainly try it.

Ok, that makes sense. Maybe I'll get lucky and the premade cable will work, but if not...free Amazon returns! Anyways, so your switch basically just completes the circuit of the two wires that putting a CD in normally would, is that correct? It does not have a separate ground wire running to it, just an extension of the 2 "CD 'on'" wires which throwing the switch connects?

The audio jack I bought came with a little "instruction" sheet that said which tab went to what. L, R and ground all go straight to the audio jack. There's a good chance that the adapter cable you bought will not have pins or wires for the activation switch, so if it doesn't work out of the box, it probably won't be much help.

Gotcha. Right, so if the adapter I bought somehow works, great! Otherwise, I'll be copying the method you used. Sounds like the audio jack you bought had the one "female" end, and then an unfinished end, correct? Have a link to it? The sheet documenting which wire is what would be really nice! 

A quick google search for "audio jack pin" turned up this:

TRS-Audio-Plug-Connections-2.png

It may also be referred to as ring, sleeve, and tip (Ground, Right, and Left, respectively). 

Cool, yeah I did at least know how the pointy end of an audio jack worked - just not how to identify which wire was what on the other end of it.

Thanks for continuing to respond and help me out with this! I'm sure you didn't envision continuing to be involved in what was a simple project for you, but I really appreciate it. I am learning, which is always awesome.

The connector in question will be there and functions the same as the one I have. It will also be occupied by the CD player that you have. Yes, it would be possible to have the switch activate the input and switch to your AUX source, I'd have to study it more than I have time or patience for right now  :P

Subaru did not offer a changer for these models, but that connector was used on a LOT of OE radios that vintage for many manufacturers, so I'm sure some used it for a changer.

Yep, in that simple diagram in my first post, pins 6 and 9 go to the 2 posts on the switch. That's it, no external ground or power source required.

Here's the jack that I used, I believe the labeling on this one was "ring, sleeve and tip":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXOIVKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057M4J4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Numbchux

what's the downside to just wiring in a 3.5mm stereo cord directly - i guess it's clutter/not elegant/in the way to have a wire dangling in your car when not needed?

i'm thinking one of these curled up in my ash tray?

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-STEREO-MINI-PLUGS-OPEN/dp/B00H0KANNC/ref=pd_sim_23_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TVEMWQZM4RSNJ7PFKT0J

i'm not sure why that has two ground wires?

Edited by grossgary

Just personal preference. I have a cord hanging out of some trim panel or the glove box on a few of my cars too, which works just fine. But this is just a little cleaner.

Having 2 ground wires is completely redundant in a cord that goes through a 3-contact plug like that, as the 2 ground wires get tied together at the plug. It might simplify wiring in RCA connectors, or attaching it to spring-loaded speaker terminals on a home stereo or something like that, I suppose. But if you wanted to use it in this application, just tie them together (or cut one off...they are redundant).

Nice setup. looks factory on the console! Soon I was going to do something soon with my 2002 Forester with the 6-CD changer/cassette. I wish I had something more basic as in the '97 - I'm planning on interfacing directly to the volume control (if possible), but then there's the requirement of being in CD or cassette mode. Or - maybe lift the audio pairs from the volume control to a toggle switch, The vol. control may be mounted on the printed circuit board making that not an easy option. I actually have one of those cassette audio adapters, I assume the quality wouldn't be good. If by chance it was, I'd probably install a switch to disable the tape player motor.

Nice setup. looks factory on the console! Soon I was going to do something soon with my 2002 Forester with the 6-CD changer/cassette. I wish I had something more basic as in the '97 - I'm planning on interfacing directly to the volume control (if possible), but then there's the requirement of being in CD or cassette mode. Or - maybe lift the audio pairs from the volume control to a toggle switch, The vol. control may be mounted on the printed circuit board making that not an easy option. I actually have one of those cassette audio adapters, I assume the quality wouldn't be good. If by chance it was, I'd probably install a switch to disable the tape player motor.

Pull your forester radio out and see if it has any unused plugs on it. You'd be surprised, many of these have another input.

I've got one of these going into my wife's '04 Outback McIntosh in-dash changer:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/USB-Car-Stereo-adapter-radio-interface-for-Clarion-CE-NET-Suzuki-Subaru-SD-AUX-MP3-bluetooth/607693_725852386.html

oh yeah i'm thinking of some of my blue tooth kits i've had in the past - want an AUX port so i'd have to get an adapter for them to plug into an existing male connector.

thanks for the dual ground comment, i was wondering why there were two on that.

You'd be surprised, many of these have another input.l

i've seen them a bunch of times and always wondered what they were too. i feel like they usually do have that port on them.

Edited by grossgary

The connector in question will be there and functions the same as the one I have. It will also be occupied by the CD player that you have. Yes, it would be possible to have the switch activate the input and switch to your AUX source, I'd have to study it more than I have time or patience for right now  :P

Subaru did not offer a changer for these models, but that connector was used on a LOT of OE radios that vintage for many manufacturers, so I'm sure some used it for a changer.

Yep, in that simple diagram in my first post, pins 6 and 9 go to the 2 posts on the switch. That's it, no external ground or power source required.

Here's the jack that I used, I believe the labeling on this one was "ring, sleeve and tip":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXOIVKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057M4J4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lol, no worries - you've given me something to think about, and maybe someday I'll make sure all my CDs are uploaded to MP3, and I will take out the CD player. For now...the other day I looked more closely at my tape adapter, discovered that the gears had popped out of place, fixed that, cleaned the player, and lo & behold I have an aux-in thru the tape deck! So for now I am satisfied - easiest and cheapest solution to my problem is the one I already had premade   ;)

Prior to that I had the center stack all apart & the radio out to see if that 13-pin to 3.5mm cable I'd purchased would work, and as you suspected it did not. On the plus side, I discovered why one of my auxiliary power outlets and lighter outlet weren't working & fixed that!

I think that I will run the cord of the tape adapter thru under the trim in the center console, and try to hide the ground loop noise isolator I got under there. I'll probably drill a hole and pop the plug out by the little tray thing next to the parking brake handle.

I wonder if you could split or splice the existing wires from the CD player cable pins 6 and 9 to, say, a DPDT switch, and essentially have the switch be "CD" in one position, and "MP3" in the other? Or maybe the DPDT switch wouldn't be necessary, and the standard SPST switch you used could do something similar? Just uneducated brainstorming...I don't know the first thing about how wiring works  :rolleyes:

Edited by ostjone

Mono vs. stereo?
A mono-plug has two 3.5mm 'cylinders'.
A stereo-plug has three.
Hence the number of wires.

EDIT:

Or, a stereo-plug might appear to have only two wires, with the third-wire (ground) being a shielded-wire.

Depending on how the cable was stripped, the shielding might have been cut away at the end, leaving only the two (left & right) wires visible.

Edited by forester2002s
  • Like 1