Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T, 3AT, ATF spews out the dipstick tube

might not be serious, what if you try securing dipstick so it can't pop out and take it on another test drive. More modern auto trans sometimes have dipstick tube delete for similar reasons and keep servicing more in house and less DIY

Are the breather tubes on top of the 3AT working? sounds like a build up of pressure of some sort in the box is causing the fluid to vent.

How much ATF fluid is in the box ? Too much fluid could cause this to happen.

Does the box have an ATF cooler in front of the radiator? check that it isn't blocked.

TOONGA

this happened on my turbo brat #2, it was not normal. service it first. this is not normal or a good sign. it can be as simple as being overfilled, or it can be overheating the fluid. typically it will come out of the vent, but if it over-pressurizes because of severe overheating, it will also come out of the dipstick. 

drain the pan, replace the plug. fill with around 2 quarts, start in park or neutral. check the fluid running. top off as needed. drive it.

if it is slipping excessively OR you have blown head gaskets on the engine (it will superheat the coolant/radiator, which is also the cooler for the trans...), it will purge the fluid.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check the vent tubes (I didn't know the 3at had any) and make sure the cooler on the radiator isn't clogged. Then I'll change the fluid.

I don't think it's head gaskets or the motor overheating. No other indications of a problem with the motor. At least I hope the motor is solid.

ETA: could it be the vacuum modulator? Is the a check valve on it? Or is it possible the boost is making its way through the modulator and adding pressure to the transmission? Probably a very stupid question.

Edited by mikeshoup
  • Like 1

I've never heard of headgaskets causing that to happen, so that is unlikely

That, and it has no other symptoms of a head gasket issue. Stays cool while driving, no oil/coolant mixture.

I'm hoping it's something simple like a fluid change or some bizarro bad vacuum diaphragm. I just need it working enough to get it through emissions so I can get it plated.

I have never had a turbo. On spfi and carb ed engines, the vacuum modulator can fail and the manifold vacuum sucks the atf out until it runs low enough to slip, or you notice the cloud of smoke. But these engines can burn a lot of oil without smoke.. blown headgaskets typically is exhaust gasses pushing into coolant system. Which causes low coolant, which causes overheating which causes blown headgaskets. I have had only one badly overheated blow so bad that oil and coolant mixed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to DaveT's comment. When the vacuum modulator goes ATF gets sucked into the vacuum lines and makes its way out the tailpipe in giant billowing clouds of white smoke, Seafoam style (ask me how I know <_< ). Draining and inspecting the old ATF, checking all the hoses for blockages, then adding new ATF is a really good place to start.

Also: Is your new wagon silver or blue, I can't tell from the pictures. I have a blue one, same gold trim bits. Mine is an 83 though, different grill and no sunroof.

So I did a couple things: I drained the ATF and re-filled it, making sure not to overfill it. The previous owner had also plumbed the breather for the front diff into a vacuum hose for some reason... I fixed that.

It's not doing it any more.