Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

I've got a 2005 Legacy (limited). It's a project car and I'd eventually like to swap my engine out for a WRX engine. I know it'll be a pain in the a**, but it's still possible right?

My boyfriend wants to put a 2.5 liter in it but I think it should just stay as 2.2 for the sake of having to modify the cross member. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Again, it's a project car so I'm willing to put the time into it. I personally wouldn't be doing the swap. I've other connections but I'd just like some opinions.

Thanks!

It is a 2.5L, just a sohc non turbo.. You could swap in a 2005 or newer wrx setup into it with the wiring harness, and need to notch the crosmember but you can get a Legacy GT spec B and have the same thing.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The only reason I'm so hell bent on putting a WRX setup in it is because it's never been done around here and I think it'd be nice to see

Hi,

Just clarifying....you have  2005 Legacy Limited NON-GT (GT is Turbo'd), correct?

And you want to put a 2.0 from an '02-'05 WRX, correct? (the only 2.2 turbo in Subaru's lineup were  the EJ22T in the '91-'94 Legacy SS/TW and -rare as they come- 22B WRX from '97-'98-ish).

As someone who's swapped turbos into NON-turbo cars (that didn't have a comparable turbo model for their year) , I'd be a hypocrite to say 'don't bother', but --- 'don't bother'.

Yes, it's cool to have a 'one-off', but unless your swappers/converters are very good and have done MANY swaps before, there's a (very) good chance it'll never run right, and if you have strict emissions/inspections in PA, you may be making a trailer queen. And eventually you'll want/have to sell it...and that may be a struggle.

Remember, it'll take twice as much time AND twice the $$ to complete this, IMHO. Expect to upgrade brakes, suspension (ALL of it), steering rack(maybe), exhaust,  tires, etc...and you'll still not quite have the same quality of car that rolled out of the factory.

RE: the crossmember  - I know all Subaru Crossmembers (between models and turbo versions) were interchangeable up 'til about 2002....so I don't know for sure if the '05+ 4th (?) Gen Legacy changed that or not.  But I DO know the EJ205/EJ255/EJ257 are all interchangeable from '02+, so not sure what 'modifying' you're doing. I'd not NOTCH the crossmember, if that's in the consideration bin, as you'll be putting more power to it...even if you weld a brace.

Devil's advocate - over and out.

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

Oh okay. I'm glad I came on here and asked about it. We're not as educated with Subaru's compared to Hondas and BMW's. This is my second subie and I've been hooked. So what do you think would the best engine swap for it? The people I know have done a lot of swaps but I'd hate to give them something too complicated like you said before and run the chance of something not working right. I mean now that I see your point, I'm open to anything. I'm just not ready to give up on this car yet. It's non turbo'd (which I hate haha) but I'd like to see if I could do anything to it. Just kind of something I want to experiment with while using my money on the right things. I appreciate the input!

PA has visual and emissions inspections which many states either don't have, or only have emissions and as long as they are NOT throwing CEL and able to pass a tailpipe test (when required) can be done but many/all states don't allow  older engine into newer bodies, and some only (legally) allow engines that were an option for the car/year. States with only tail pipe and no visual other than cats, you could put a V8 Chevy in there and as long as it wasn't exceeding the limits set for the engine that came with the car, even 4cyl, it'll pass, hence you might see an odd engine in a daily driver online with normal plates.

PA is up there with NY on overreach. I don't even think you guys are allowed to have rust on the body. I'd talk to a couple inspection shops and ask what they actually check (are they running engine VIN and checking it against the car's VIN?) when doing an inspection. Will they auto-fail if OBDII connector doesn't connect but tail pipe test still passes? Are they more lenient with older cars? Can you run a newer engine (block and heads) in an older car? If turbo was an option for the model from the factory, can you add everything and make yours the same? etc. etc.

If you wanted to add a WRX STi powertrain, you really should buy a complete roller and swap EVERYTHING over including all factory wiring, cats, evap, etc. and cross fingers it'd fly with the test site.