Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 subaru forester transmission problems

I am getting an P0748 error and when I do the special handshake with the transmission it gives me a 75.

On a side note I have read numerous notes of checking the resistor?  I was not sure what to look for when looking for it.  It's suppose to be on the fender on the passenger side, but I didn't see anything that looks like a resistor there.

Both of those codes are for the line pressure solenoid.  

I pulled the pan off and all of the solenoids ohm at ~15 but 2.  One of the ohms at 4.8 and the other doesn't at all.  I am guessing the one the doesn't work is the line pressure solenoid.

This doesn't seem to match what I have seen/read from peoples 4eat's, is this trasmission a 4eat?  There seem to be at least 3 different types of solenoids.

If I can't find this part in a junk yard can I use the solenoid from the dealer that is the 2-4 brake solenoid.  They said there wasn't a pressure solenoid in their system.

transmission type on vin plate says TZ1A3ZC2AA

Here's a picture of the solenoinds:

post-61972-0-70616200-1458080362_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tetonvalleynick

Thanks Fairtax4me

Has anyone pulled one of these out and can tell that there is a trick or more than a little tug to get them out.  I'd rather not break something else inside the valve body.

The service manual just said to remove them.

Here are the names and locations of the solenoids for anyone who looks at this later.

post-61972-0-88474000-1458091502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tetonvalleynick

Okay I got the line pressure solenoid from a transmission in the junk yard.  It ohms out to 3.3, along with the 2-4 brake solenoid.  

All the other solenoids ohm to 13.8 except the lock-up duty solenoid which ohms to 13.0

All of those appear to be within spec.

specs for reference:

post-61972-0-02916000-1458169098_thumb.jpg post-61972-0-87815000-1458169124_thumb.jpg

Is there anything else I should check while I have the transmission pan off.  I don't feel like cleaning gasket off this pan again for a very long time.

Only other thing I can think of is to just make sure the wiring is all ok. No pinched or chafed insulation.

Permatex has a new RTV out that's specifically for transmission pans. I've used it a couple times and so far it seems really good. It seals really well, and seems to be fairly easy to remove. I haven't yet removed any of the pans that is sealed with it. I just used it to glue some coins to a peice of aluminum to see how well it would pop loose and clean up. It's easier to remove than ultra-grey or Mega-black, and haven't had any leaks yet.