Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback 2.5 Flywheel Weight Limits?

I am about to have the clutch replaced (71000 mi) on our 1998 Outback 5-speed. Looking at various costs of flywheel replacement in event ours is damaged beyond use.

I find that there are "deals" on Fidanza and Exedy flywheels. The weights appear to be about 10 and about 14 lb. respectively. I have also found some references to "driveability problems" on Legacy models due to use of light (aftermarket) flywheels.

Can anyone here give me some solid evidence either way (stick with heavy OEM flywheel, or move to aluminum aftermarket)? The Fidanzas appear to be more aggressively priced.

I understand the "driveability problems" MIGHT be associated with knock sensing coming into play on deceleration due to lighter flywheel mass? This is not the "judder" clutch problem of the 1999+ models. But the info I have found is very sketchy.

TIA any good advice here ... don't want to use the wrong part when that engine/trans is so costly to take apart.

I have had a clutchmaster's/Fridenza sp? flywheel at 9.7 Lb on my car for three years now. All the driveability problems that people who have never used the product pontificate about are simply not true. It does aid in acceleration, engine braking is much more precise, and once you learn the method shifting is much improved. It will take a bit of practice to re-learn your shifting timing because it is much quicker, the tach will rise and drop lightning quick. If you rev and drop you can kill the engine but that doesn't happen in real world use once you adjust. But all the rumors about having to rev to 5 grand to leave a stop or what have you are absolute crap. I also have a lightened underdrive pulley. This is a PhaseII EJ25 @ just over 300Hp (turbo).

• 3 months later...

I'm curious about what you finally bought and the results. My Outback has 150,000mi on the original clutch, but I'm looking to move from MD to CO in a few months and I know it won't last that trip, especially pulling a trailer!

What I'd like to know is:

1. What brand did you choose, and why?

2. What was your cost & source (if you don't mind)?

3. Do you do much towing or offroad driving?

4. Did you do the work yourself, and if so, how long did it take you?

Thanks much!!

Brendan

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

NO ONE has any thoughts or experience related to lightweight flywheels on the 2.5L Phase I engine?

Please ...

those are for competition ....to make it simple you lose a lot of drivebelity on city driving.....so it depends what kind of driving you looking for

I've got the exedy 14 lb flywheel. It does aid in the acceleration of the motor. I don't have any issues with starting/stopping etc. However you do need to give the car a little more gas, and be more aware of starting off. I had a friend who drives an sti drive my car and he stalled it a couple times.

I'm curious about what you finally bought and the results. My Outback has 150,000mi on the original clutch, but I'm looking to move from MD to CO in a few months and I know it won't last that trip, especially pulling a trailer!

What I'd like to know is:

1. What brand did you choose, and why?

2. What was your cost & source (if you don't mind)?

3. Do you do much towing or offroad driving?

4. Did you do the work yourself, and if so, how long did it take you?

Thanks much!!

Brendan

When did you decide to move out to CO?

I've been thinking about it for a while, and came to the decision a few weeks ago. Probably would have told you on the phone but you had to run to a meeting and I've been STUPID busy lately. It'll be your 1/2-way house to your mom's place in Washington!

So your knowledge of Scooby parts is ridiculously vast... any recommendations? I'm getting ready to order my new CV axles & Goodridge brake lines this week. Gotta get her ready for some play time in the mountains, ya know!

Well I've heard nothing but good things about the exedy lw flywheels. I have one, and the quality looks to be very good. Plus I found it for a very good price. This is for your car $339

http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=65

I don't think you'll be able to touch that price for a good LW flywheel. You need a clutch too don't you? I'm just using the stock wrx clutch for now....it's alright. Since exedy makes subaru clutches, you could probably go with them and maybe a slightly more agressive one.

Yeah I'll have to come visit you in CO.....what area of CO you planning to live in?

It's looking like work will be in Boulder (subturd or Denver, to the west) but I want to live in Fort Collins, which is ~60mi north of Denver. I'm going to leave the CBR in Maryland for the winter, and fly back to visit and then ride it out to CO.

Thanks for the info on the flywheel. I can't use a WRX clutch, can I? Aren't they actuated in the opposite direction than mine? I.e. WRX is push-type, OB is pull-type? I thought I remember you saying something to that effect at least.

So with labor, I'm looking at $800+ for a new clutch... fun fun. Don't know if I feel like tackling this one myself. How much of a pain is it to do in the car? You did yours with the engine out, yes?

Yeah I've driven through fort collins....and it just so happened to be the weekend of the air show....what a nightmare traffic was.....I ended up ditching the interstate after sitting for 45 min or so.

No you can't use a WRX flywheel, however the link I gave you was for all the other EJ series motors/trans with the push type clutch. (btw wrx & t-legacy are pull type clutch, all others are push)

I did mine with the engine in. I never pulled the engine. Honestly, I didn't think it was that hard. Removing the MT was no way near as bad as the AT. You will have to drop the exhaust, disconnect the shift linkage, all the wires, etc going to the tranny, and remove the starter and pitch mount to be able to get the tranny out. I wouldn't suggest trying it by yourself. You'll need another body to get the tranny out.

It's not a super easy job, but it's not super hard either. I guess it'll also depend on whether or not you have the facilities to work on it too.

My friend's dad has a tranny shop (auto's only!! ACK!) so I have access to just about everything I'd need... except a tranny jack! I'm going to see how much a local shop will charge me to do the work. I'm so friggin' busy, that time is the real problem.