Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Forester 144k miles. 5MT Hard to shift into gear

Especially after the engine has warmed up, it is very difficult to shift into gear.  And grinds when I try to shift into reverse.

I have recently replaced the Slave and the Clutch Hose, neither of those made a difference.  I replaced the Master in October.

Could it be the trans fluid causing this issue?  It was last changed at 110k.

+1 for the clutch not fully disengaging. It could be the clutch itself but that's very rare (typically if it's the clutch, it's in a car that's been sitting so long the clutch, PP, and FW have rusted together). Honestly, I suggest doing the master, slave, and hose all at the same time. At this point I'd say it's 50/50 between a slave that has also failed or a cheap rebuilt master failing prematurely.

Yes the gear oil change could be the cause of your problems, IF you didn't use the specified gear oil.  It is not as simple as it used to be.  Friction modifiers are often added to match the syncronizers.  If its not a match, then the syncronizers can make it harder to get into gear instead of easier.  It really is not necessary to change MT oil any longer and I would recommend against it, BUT it should be checked occasionally, if not at every oil change, at least every 30k service.

Oops, didn't read closely enough that the master, slave, and hose had all been replaced. I correct my previous post to say either the master or slave has failed or the linkage was not correctly adjusted at the time of the master cyl replacement.

^ It fixed my '98 and it was free. 

Thanks

it may have worked but I've seen cases where it did more damage. If you adjust too far and cover the compensating port on the master cylinder it'll be a bad day. It could be that the linkage is not adjusted correctly to start with.

It just seems odd that the pedal is not soft....if the problem is the Master cyl.  Hmmmmm....

Pedal effort is a function of leverage, travel speed, and pressure plate force. for a failed master or slave cylinder to affect pedal effort, it'd have to leak fluid faster than you're trying to push it through the line. At that point, it'd leak so bad you wouldn't be able to shift after holding the clutch down for a few seconds.

Yes the gear oil change could be the cause of your problems, IF you didn't use the specified gear oil.  It is not as simple as it used to be.  Friction modifiers are often added to match the syncronizers.  If its not a match, then the syncronizers can make it harder to get into gear instead of easier.  It really is not necessary to change MT oil any longer and I would recommend against it, BUT it should be checked occasionally, if not at every oil change, at least every 30k service.

Is reverse synchro'd on subie gearboxes? I know on most manuals I'm familiar with it isn't so a grindy reverse along with the synchro'd forward gears=lack of disengagement. If reverse is synchro'd, then yes fluid choice could affect it as well. MT fluid absolutely should be changed at the recommended interval (or, in the case of "lifetime fill" fluids, upon expiration of the warranty since they mean lifetime of the warranty)