Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted Legacy: Lowering motor and trans mounts?

Hey all,

After doing a 3" suspension lift on my Legacy, naturally I'm running into CV joint clanking due to the newly dramatic angle. I could get the OEM axles and extend the boot towards the trans to save them from tearing... But I'm not sure how long that will last at this increased angle.

So a more permanent solution, in my mind, would be to lower the engine and trans about 1-1.5" to bring it closer to stock angle. Then get new OEM axles.

Thoughts? Ideas on how to accomplish this?

I've been searching for awhile to find a forum that discusses this at any length. To no avail.

Thank you for reading!

Yep. 2" is about all you can get away with a suspension only lift.

Engine and transmission crossmembers have to be spaced down from the body. This also corrects control arm and tie rod geometry.

No. Longer axles are not the answer

I ASSume, from your screen name, that "your" Legacy is a '95. Yes?

Edited by Numbchux

Engine and transmission crossmembers have to be spaced down from the body. This also corrects control arm and tie rod geometry.

Yes, it is a 95. And I put outback struts and subtle solutions 1" upper strut spacers. I figured longer axles aren't my answer, the geometry doesn't make sense, my question was if anyone knows how to lower the engine and trans and what is involved. Thank you guys

You need the engine and transmission crossmember blocks, the bolts for the engine and transmission crossmembers, and the front control arm rear bushing housings from an outback.

You'll also need the longer steering shaft u-joint.

The driveshaft carrier bearing on the outback sits lower. You can either swap the driveshaft, or just get longer bolts and stack some washers together to lower it about 3/4".

For the rear suspension You will also need the rear crossmember blocks. Differential outrigger blocks, and the rear trailing arm brackets.