Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, so I've tried searching all around to fix my current issue with my fuel pump not running.

The engine cranks over but its not getting any fuel due to the fuel pump not starting.

I've pulled the fuel pump out and tested that it's working.

Checked the relay and I am pretty sure that its working, it is clicking but still not getting any power to the black/red wire. I was getting power to it for a bit but not exactly sure as I only have a test light that got bright and slowly dimmed out. Could it possibly be just a bad relay that is causing it to not get power or is it shorting out somewhere. I've been wanting to pull out the blower relay to test it with that one but getting to that is a pain and how the weather has been the past couple of days I haven't gotten to it.

Also have checked the fuses and those are fine.

At this point I'm thinking about just wiring the fuel pump to the battery.

Any help with what could be causing this or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Under the dash - usually near driver's right knee- are two green connectors, when plugged together - Key in ON, Engine OFF position- it causes all relays, sensors, rad fans, etc. to cycle. I would 'think' it'd cycle the Fuel Pump Relay too.

Other than checking the wiring from the FP  - under rear seat ? - I don't have anything else.

GL,

Td

any wrecks/work done to the car before this began?

the fuel pump should run for a few seconds every time you turn the key from OFF - to -ON. do that a few times (without going to START) and confirm you hear the pump hum each time.  After doing that several times in a row, then try START. maybe a leaky injector or ??? is losing fule pressure.

you can also pull spark plugs to see if one smells like fuel - leaky injector.

if you spray some carb cleaner or ether-start in the intake, will the car try to fire?

is a CEL on? read the code(s) and post here.

how long since the timing belt system was serviced?

many things will prevent a car from starting - bad crank sensor, slipped timing, etc.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

any wrecks/work done to the car before this began?

the fuel pump should run for a few seconds every time you turn the key from OFF - to -ON. do that a few times (without going to START) and confirm you hear the pump hum each time.  After doing that several times in a row, then try START. maybe a leaky injector or ??? is losing fule pressure.

you can also pull spark plugs to see if one smells like fuel - leaky injector.

if you spray some carb cleaner or ether-start in the intake, will the car try to fire?

is a CEL on? read the code(s) and post here.

how long since the timing belt system was serviced?

many things will prevent a car from starting - bad crank sensor, slipped timing, etc.

I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the fuel pump as it was having problems starting to begin with, the car turns over just fine its just not getting fuel. But I know the pump works as I have pulled it out already and tested it.

Under the dash - usually near driver's right knee- are two green connectors, when plugged together - Key in ON, Engine OFF position- it causes all relays, sensors, rad fans, etc. to cycle. I would 'think' it'd cycle the Fuel Pump Relay too.

Other than checking the wiring from the FP  - under rear seat ? - I don't have anything else.

GL,

Td

I have tried connecting those two green wires and the fuel pump still doesn't start. I'm beginning to believe that its something with the wires as its not getting any power at the black/red wire on the 6 pin connector the others seem to be working properly. I've tried to find a wiring diagram of a 98 but haven't had any luck and all the other diagrams don't seem to be matching up with what I'm looking at.

Unless you can monitor the cranking fuel pressure, there really is no way to correctly verify the pump is working correctly. Mine was bad but the motor still spun. I suggest checking voltage at the fuel pump while holding the key in the start position and engine is cranking (careful not cause sparks over tank opening as there's fresh air being blown over the tank; I could feel a breeze on mine + air in the car is enough to be dangerous). If you see battery voltage at fuel pump wire while cranking, it's getting power. Replace the pump. If you go through Auto Zone, get their Delphi pump as it's actually meant for the car and comes with everything needed minus a new sock.

Unless you can monitor the cranking fuel pressure, there really is no way to correctly verify the pump is working correctly. Mine was bad but the motor still spun. I suggest checking voltage at the fuel pump while holding the key in the start position and engine is cranking (careful not cause sparks over tank opening as there's fresh air being blown over the tank; I could feel a breeze on mine + air in the car is enough to be dangerous). If you see battery voltage at fuel pump wire while cranking, it's getting power. Replace the pump. If you go through Auto Zone, get their Delphi pump as it's actually meant for the car and comes with everything needed minus a new sock.

From what I've notice is that the fuel pump doesn't seem to be getting any power at the red/black wire at the connector. Could this just be a bad relay? Or could it be some wiring somewhere else.