Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been a while since I've seen this side of the forum.

So, just got myself an 07 OBW, base model with a 5sp stick shift and only 78k on her clock.

Runs great, no problems what so ever, purrs like a kitten, lots more power than even my built EA81, goes like the proverbial ape.

But on day 5 of ownership (this morning's commute), it kicked out a CEL with a flashing cruise light.

Reading up on nastysock and legoGT provided me with at least the idea is that it is emission or oil filter related.

I'm going to call the dealership I got it from as I purchased an extended warranty with the car (3yr, 60k) and see what they can do for me.

But in the meantime, any of you EJ experts have any clues for me?

i may know plenty about EA and early EJ setups, but this new of an EJ is all sorts of different to me.

Twitch

PS: Yes, there will be a "User's Rides" thread about it, but have to come up with an appropriate name for it...

PPS: "The Silver Bullet" is the current placeholder aside from "The Outback"

Sir,

Please get yourself a code reader, and help us help you. :-)

congrats on the new ride!

Td

Awww, but the EA's were so much easier. "X doesn't do Y. What's wrong?"

So much easier than "Code read this" and "code read that". Oh well, off to the dealer to pin down the code(s).

Also, tidbit of info, it had been almost exactly 140 miles since I fueled up with 87 octane E10 from a Mobil gas station.

Since it's emissions based most likely, I thought fuel could be a factor.

Another thing, reset the filler cap when I got to work. Haven't driven it yet to see if that solved the problem.

Filler cap looks new with a good seal on it.

Twitch

PS: Thanks Td! I'm in love so far, and even though its so new, no traction control! :D

So thanks to some old acquaintances down at o-really's I snagged the codes off, and FML.

P0420, one saved, one pending.

Good thing I got that warranty, I may end up with a whole new exhaust for free.

Twitch

PS: The code occurred at 2524rpm going 55mph, with the cat at 42% load and the the TPS at 20% throttle. I love it when the code reader can read the flashed info of the instance.

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

If you got a printed readout from the scan, present it to the seller. It can be intermittent but you shouldn't have to worry when it will come back. It is an emissions code (catalytic efficiency below spec bank 2)

Have them replace the cat(s) and O2 sensors with genuine parts and you will have some peace of mind.

My P0420 showed up on my 05 OB at 105K miles and has come and gone for the next 55K miles. I reset the code/systems to pass inspection a few times but as I said above, since you have a warranty, get it fixed and then you should get some warranty for the work done. Insist on genuine parts as that will offer the best shot at it being fixed.

There is no reason you should be saddled with something they were probably aware of. In this instance you will look like the smartest guy on the block for buying the extended warranty.

While they are looking it over, there are bushings in the front end that notoriously wear out. Get the car brought up to snuff on their nickel.

Burnt oil smell could be HG... warranty.

Could also be torn cv boot (a real stinky smell)... warranty.

Put some cardboard under the car and look for drips.

Edited by brus brother

I didn't get a printed readout of the scan, it was a handheld scanner without the ability to print anything off.

But I didn't wipe the code either, so it should still be stored in the system. I e-mailed the salesman I bought the car from, but so far no response. Might be his day off.

I'm going to personally look at the bottom of the engine when I get it home and search it for leaks. I don't want anything to get "missed" when I bring it in for service.

I'll also check out the bushings and axles, but the car is tight as a drum while driving. Also, I know what burning axle grease smells like, this smells like engine oil; not as pungent.

Its a Subaru dealer (AutoNation Subaru in Spokane Valley), so they should be able to get the OEM parts for cheaper than any of the aftermarket places around here.

I hope that warranty pays for itself here shortly.

Twitch

Just outside of the federal emissions warranty by time, but you're still under the 80k mileage limit. Get it back to the dealer inside that and they're should be more likely to cover the repairs.

P0420 codes are common and they're generally due to something simple. Cats rarely go bad, but O2 sensors fail often and they're still pretty pricey.

Vacuum leak, old spark plugs, dirty air filter, old gas, any number of causes for that code. Best to start with a tune-up and go from there.