Ultimate Subaru Message Board

55mm rod journal in an ej25?

Hi everyone, I'm a new member as well as a new Subaru owner. And I've got something very strange going on.

I bought an 06 Impreza RS/2.5i from a local dealership. Got hardcore ripped off. I thought 2 thousand was a good deal for the car. I knew it was not running perfectly, but I thought it could be fixed easily. You guessed it, I'm an amateur mechanic. 

Turned out, it was running on 3 cylinders. I hadn't recognized the sound of it because I thought maybe the diesel-like sound was a Boxer thing. So now I'm rebuilding the engine with new rings, bearings, and gaskets/seals.

Here's where I run into the actual problem. My rod journal, according to very precise measurements, is exactly 55 mm. And I mean I quadruple checked that number but everything came out 55: The rod journal, the crankshaft knobs, and the worn-out bearings I pulled out of it. 

And I can't seem to find subaru-spec 55 mm connecting rod bearings anywhere. Not even on the internet. They don't seem to exist. I even emailed the head of my local dealership's parts department, and the best he could do for me was advise me to check a forum. 

I even tried ordering 55 mm bearings for a different car, a Honda Prelude. They didn't fit. Rookie lesson learned. 

So now I'm wondering, where in the world can I find bearings that fit?

Also, why in the world is my engine different than every other Subaru Impreza that ever existed in the universe? The car does have a rebuilt title, so no one will ever know what kind of chump put this thing together. Should I get a new crankshaft and rods to meet the standard Subaru measurements of either 48 or 52 mm? If I was able to find the right size bearings, would the engine, which is without a doubt an ej25, even be worth rebuilding if the crankshaft is too big?

If anyone knows anything about this, its much appreciated. Been having terrible luck with projects lately and could use a breakthrough.

What is your engine code found on the drivers side strut tower EJ253?.

have you tried std bearings? The ID clearence should come out somewhere around 55mm due to oil clearence.. Stock and any crank that I know of does not use anything but a 48 or 52mm so it's unlikely.. Truthfully, unless you want extra HP, there is no need to rebuild an EJ engine. Drop in a 1999-2011 EJ25 short block, use your heads and intake.. get lowest mile you can but, engines gonna run less than $1k most times under $500