Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good days in this part of the country are rarer than solar eclipses. It's a 73 GL. The guy has his own shop but he's looking to get out of it to focus on his muscle car hobby. He bought it from a Subaru dealer in Idaho I believe, who had it on display.

post-2453-0-07563900-1459953160_thumb.jpg

post-2453-0-44629100-1459953175_thumb.jpg

post-2453-0-40021100-1459953202_thumb.jpg

post-2453-0-79410700-1459953214_thumb.jpg

More info.  It was a trade in from the original owners 38 years later, and it was traded to the same dealer that originally sold it.  They put it in their showroom for a couple years before the current owner was able to convince them to sell it.  He has been working on Subarus since 1975.  

Yeah, but it looks to be in pretty good shape overall. Anyone can have a restored car, but they are only original once. i would say it's should be worth 5k. I know it's *only* a Subaru, but a similar vintage Datsun, Toyota, or especially a Mazda would command close to double that in like condition. Values on all vintage Japanese cars are climbing and it's only a matter of time before we look back and remember when we could have got a nice, rare model like this for "only" 5k. We are already getting to that point where 2dr 510's that are rusty and clapped out are worth close to 5k.

• Like 1

woah crack nice.  i don't know 70's stuff like moosen's and these guys but i'd think $5k is possible, particularly depending on mileage.  people can go bonkers over sub 100k cars like this. 

Agreed. I'll have to figure out a way to swing it. Timing sucks though because I just bought an 86 xt gl-10 and a few months ago picked up a 96 OBS with a v7 ej207 swap for an excellent price. It's only money, they'll print more!

if you buy smart there's no, or negligible loss, and most of the time there's margin to make money on a good purchase.   not every time maybe but the majority i've bought could easily be flipped and get my money back if not come out ahead.  if 1 out of 5 don't work out or i drive them forever, then so be it.   of course, still need cash up front for right now.....    

The latest two purchases are for my own personal collection.  Sometimes I don't always buy smart but I worry where they might end up if I don't.  I flip newer Subarus to fund my addiction.  Over the last several years I've done about 30 or so and haven't lost money yet but I'm know I'm due for one anytime!