Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all.  I have a 2000 Outback Limited, EJ25 SOHC.  It just came to me with 155,000 mi and no idea if/when the timing belt has been done.  It also need to remove the rocker covers and replace those seals, as I am getting oil in the spark plug holes.  The question is can both the timing belt and rocker covers be done in the car?  I have done the same jobs to a 1996 DOHC Outback but that time I already had the engine out, so it was simple.  This time I have no other reason to remove the engine, but I can if it makes more sense.  The potential benefit of pulling it is, that I can then check the rear seal and the oil separator.  But again I have no evidence of a problem there.  Any advice is welcome.  

patsusedparts,

There are many YouTube videos on changing the timing belt and related parts while the engine is in the car. Some of them are VERY well done and are a great guide. Personally I have changed out the spark plugs on my Subies in the past, and I see no reason why the valve covers can't be done as well while the engine is in the car. There is room.

Two OBW's ago, the dealership put new headgaskets on my 2004 wagon while I waited in their service department. It took almost 5 hours, but they didn't pull the engine.

patsusedparts,

There are many YouTube videos on changing the timing belt and related parts while the engine is in the car. Some of them are VERY well done and are a great guide. Personally I have changed out the spark plugs on my Subies in the past, and I see no reason why the valve covers can't be done as well while the engine is in the car. There is room.

Two OBW's ago, the dealership put new headgaskets on my 2004 wagon while I waited in their service department. It took almost 5 hours, but they didn't pull the engine.

Thanks, gbhrps.   I looked at some of the videos.  Looks like this is much easier than the DOHC arrangement. 

Pat