Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone! thank you for helping me with my 1986 brat. My father has driven my 2003 baja from Pennsylvania to calfiornia. the brake system is in terrible shape. The brake fluid reservoir is brown. my question is, how to bleed new fluid into this system? Should I run the car while all the bleeders are open and monitor the level of the reservoir, then close them in a criss cross manner starting from the driver side front? I know the rule of thumb is to start furthest from the master but when i consulted the manual for the brat it stated the criss cross method. I was wondering if it is the same for this generation of subaru. Any advice is greatly appreciated!     

You can open the bleeders and connect a very small vacuum line to each bleeder end, then insert the opposite hose end into a clear pop bottle or similar (though bottles are better as you can see them filling at a glance). Remove the master cylinder cover so it can let air in.

Let it drain a couple hours on it's own (dunno if you need a hand pump on the reservoir or not or if that is just faster), occasionally topping off the master cylinder with fresh fluid. I've never done this method, so can't attest how long it takes, but if you occasionally empty each dirty fluid bottle, you'll know the line is cleared of old fluid once the fluid is as clear as what's coming out of the new fluid bottle. Close the bleeder and wait for the rest to be the same. After all 4 are fresh fluid exiting, THEN bleed the system. Newer cars can be bled by starting with furthest away bleeder and working up to closest bleeder. If after bleeding all 4 and brake pedal is still soft, do all 4 again.

Other option is get a turkey baster. You can get them at Walmart or possibly parts store. Suck out the fluid in the reservoir  (as much as you can while leaving a small amount on the bottom) then top off with fresh fluid, put cover back in place, drive it briefly while using brakes constantly. Repeat this numerous times until fresh fluid is all that's in the reservoir. 

Another option (this and gravity bleeding are the best methods) is start with furthest away bleeder, and act like you are bleeding the system, only keep bleeding the line until fresh fluid exits. It won't take long doing this. You just pump, hold, open the bleeder, let ALL the fluid exit the line from that bleeder (letting it drain through hose and into bottle is less messy), top off reservoir as needed, and keep repeating until FRESH fluid exits the line only. Do the other bleeders as well in the same fashion and don't let the reservoir go empty (keep it topped off and be SURE cover is snug before you pump the brakes). When all is said and done, fresh fluid will be in the lines AND reservoir. If pedal is mushy/soft after this, go back and bleed any air out.

Edited by Bushwick

^Is that due to the ABS module? I bled mine a couple times (after a rotted section let go) and did the typical furthest rear 1st, then other, then front, and it bled OK.

Sorry...don't know what the Subaru engineers were thinking.....but I DID also use the pattern on my non-abs '90 and '96 (brighton) models in the past.

If you don't have the Subaru ABS test system, I've read you can bleed the brakes, then go use the brakes that allows the ABS to engage - such as a gravel road  -  SAFELY- and then re-bleed them to get all the air out???