Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I've got a 97 Legacy Outback...  Fuel pump went out far from home was quoted an astronomical price to fix it, called my mechanic back home can do it for $300 cheaper, so I push it onto a uhaul auto transporter and drag it home. when I get to the shop well after closing time I left the key in the on position, now I have a dead battery and can't even push it off the trailer.  The question is will a new or freshly charged battery allow me to get it in N, so I can get it off the trailer? Any thoughts?

You can get an exact match fuel pump for $80 at parts store, and within an hour install it yourself. Lift the back seat bottom cushion forward, and there's an oval cover screwed to the metal. Remove that and you have access to the top of the fuel tank and fuel pump assembly. There's roughly 8 or maybe 10 bolts with I think 10mm nuts (or maybe they were closer to 5/16", can't remember). They'll be rusty so a rust blaster and patience will be need to loosen, but once loose, assembly lifts right out. Swap in a new pump AND new sock, and it's good to go. Did I mention it only costs $80 roughly? 

If you have jumpers, pop the hood and jump the battery. It'll come out of park, and it'll at least have a charge.

Edited by Bushwick