Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 outback 2.5AT, VDC offroad/ overlanding build

scalman

Some 20 min maybe. Most that time for diging after i lifted car with hi lift. Its funny how easy is to do that with this jack vs other options would be so much problems. I didint even get dirty. That foldable shovel is amazing was so fast digging that sand.

As for jack i didint had any extra pad you would think you need for soft sand ,just stock one and it was not sinking a lot, just some and then car just went up. I was there alone in middle of forest, what could go wrong.. Hey look its some hole you wont pass it , maybe you should get out first and check, naaah it will be fine ..bamm ... Lol

Edited by scalman

Bumper cut now all fits with bumper on and works very well.

Qo4lIij.jpg

Trying to make some reciever adapter for shackle. Will redo it if needed whe. I get shackles.

QTCD7wD.jpg

Im glad all worked out simple way not i can very simple and fast lift car and high. Rear maybe not so high as bumper is allready high there but its enough to lift wheel in air and its still some 3 steps left on hi lift.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

driving around in forest, saw some cool rock there, all wet and slippery, wonder could i drove on top of it , would be cool photo of that maybe, what could go wrong

b2FUgRZ.jpg

and of courese i droped down over it .  and couldnt move from there at all. and im alone in middle of forest. good thing i have that hi lift jack , it was just couple minutes to lift all front of car and put some rocks and planks under wheels , lower car and drove back

vLW1iJT.jpg

and then have some more fun there

RDwaPQS.jpg

and my little test again on VDC 
PbwHSD8.gif
and after its dig up down i tried with VDC ON and 2nd gear. 2nd gear works little better as its tries to spin wheels even less then on D or 1st gear.
xCBJKzx.gif

Edited by scalman
  • Like 1

more snow more fun , subaru just loves snow

SKhpBNg.jpg

iANCiq9.jpg

there i was almost in trouble as i tried to go forward car was sliding more to right and to deeper snow , but couple move back and forward and i went off to field again. again not spining wheel too much helped there again with VDC as spinning wheel makes ice under tire and you dont want ice there. so carefully working with little slippage i went off that trap.

Edited by scalman

• 2 weeks later...

who loves snow ?

HeZ6kOV.jpg

aNNyz6Y.jpg

that one pic where car is on angle. maybe sounds silly but how to stop car in middle of hill and get out of it to take pic, same time not get stuck in gear with automatic, if you change gear and leave car on angle that gear will stuck, even if you use handbrake it doesnt help anything. what helps with my auto and ither who has that Hold/Power function, so that Hold thing does what it says. its just makes all easy leave car on D and it will stay in place wont move wont slide. 

Edited by scalman

Tested it for braking and or course it broke in half because its hard plastic so you cant make ramp of it but on snow at least its good. Could be good for some FWD car to get out of tricky situation on snow. Cheap and light and if no use later can use it in garden

vejos-zoles-korys-uz-gera-kaina-18142.jp

2 wheels in air . no prob for VDC there. with it off those 2 that in air just spin and nothing happening. turn VDC on and it goes

so no matter how big how cool 4wd car you have if open diffs you wont go anywhere from that kind of situation.

Axn722u.gif

XAV9sQc.gif

Edited by scalman

yes VDC sometimes just cuts engine power down and car dont go as you want so when wheels dont lift up maybe i could use better VDC off and have all engine power for use. 

sad thing that where i live i dont have anyone else here to drive with to test with so doing it alone. best thing is to drive with someone and compare your car to someone else and see where your car is not good maybe. 

i was wondering ppl say there is 2'' max lift for outback 2nd gen ad they say its because CV axles angles and such ... but i took pic of my car under and i see that my axles like almost straight there. so can i do more lift there ? or i will hit some other problem that something else will meet it max flex ?

at least in rear cv axles straight so why no lift more ? 

kqzY3dn.jpg

Edited by scalman