Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump making noise under rear seat 1999 Legacy Gt 2.5

Hello. I recently picked up a clean looking subaru, but has 221K miles on it.

I am trying to solve a performance problem with my 1999 Legacy Gt.

I step on the gas hard and hear the fuel pump growling under the rear seat.

I have replaced the pump, and it is making the same sound. It happens only when the car is under load, or uphill

Poor acceleration. Seems like a fuel problem. I've replaced the pump and filter, and air filter. Also, plugs, wires and

coil. Any suggestions?

Fuel pump growling under load or uphill?

You might have differential, or universal joint noise. Maybe also the main drive shaft support bearing and bushing (a 150 dollar doozie of a part, a bit of a pain to replace also) under the car. You also might have busted or cracked transmission mounts. Maybe  a bad rear axle or rear wheel bearing as well. It could just be the rear differential is low on gear oil from a slow leak, or that the oil in it has dried up and thickened causing sludge and noise.

You would also want to check your transmission gear oil (if it is manual trans),automatic transmission fluid (if it an auto trans) differential oil (80w-90, 85w-90 or 90 weight), and rear differential oil, also the same as the previous weights.

Cheap stuff first. All fluids checked, and topped off if needed, and or changed for fresh fluids and gear oils. Then look for cracked transmission mounts by using a flash light with the car SAFELY on jack stands or something sturdy, and visually checking the mounts, and, slightly prying or gently jacking up the transmission if you can't tell with the flashlight. Don't pry excessively or jack up more then an inch or less on the trans, or you could break good mounts trying to find out if they are bad or cracked. Other things might be more complicated, such as a differential bushing, bad differential side play etc.

Good luck. 

Hey Thank you for that input. I have been wondering about the trans and diff parts. First, after getting the car home, I noticed the trans was overfull about

1/2 quart or more.  Then the front diff was overfull about a pint. The color is good on both, so I adjusted the levels for now. Still need to check rear diff level for sure. So, when I jump on the gas, and it doesn't respond and bogs, it is possibly the trans parts? Can trans mounts cause lack of power?  Also, sometimes, I will step on it, and it kicks in with power, then I get like torque steer pulling left. I mean the steering wheel stiffens up and pulls. Just had a local shop do front left cv axle was leaking. Didn't ask them to look at everything.

They only do tires and suspension, axles etc.

I'm sure they would put it up in the air and at least look at it for free.