Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aussie Hatch... Now ej22 Converted. (with pics)

SuBaRiNo

As some of you know i have a 1983 Subaru Hatch which is rather rare in Australia due to hatches never being released here. I thought i would put a post on here as i have just finished installing an ej22 engine into the little hatch and converted it to 4wd.

I have used a standard wagon rear end to make it 4wd along with an L-series 4wd gear box adapted to fit onto the ej22 engine. I was actually inspired by someone on this board to attempt to make the adapter plate myself and i ended up saving a lot of money that way.

I have some pics on the net for people who would like to look at the different parts of the conversion. The site is below.

http://community.webshots.com/album/134929361hUEpcw

Enjoy

Dave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The adapter ring seems straightforward enough, it's dealing with the added space within the shaft /throwout bearing / pilot bearing / starter parts et al., that I've got the slew of questions about how it fits.

care to elaborate on the fitment on the inside?

Jay

Ok... i will try and answer a few of these questions....

- I will be more than happy to send the template out to someone else who can distribute it to everyone else over there who might need it. How exactly i can get the template there i am un-sure as yet.

- Adapter plate is 12mm thick.... apparently that is the exact length that the Ej22 bell housing is shorter than the ea82 bell housing. This means by adding the adapter plate, it then makes the ej22 bell housing the exact size of an ea82 bell housing. After doing that you can drill out the ea82 flywheel stud pattern bolt holes so it bolts directly to the ej22 engine(no spacer needed). Then use the entire ea82 clutch set up on the flywheel. That also alows u to use the ea82 thrust bearing and everything and use the ea82 or ea81 starter motors without problems.

I hope this helps

Dave

Ohh... i forgot to say how it runs... Runs great when it's not in a bad mood... it does have a few issues i have to sort.. including a dodgy gear box that i purchased which apears to be stuffed. It has plenty of power... no need for a turbo.

Dave

Ok... i will try and answer a few of these questions....

- I will be more than happy to send the template out to someone else who can distribute it to everyone else over there who might need it. How exactly i can get the template there i am un-sure as yet.

Dave

Can you just make a copy of the template out of cardboard. Then you could fold

it up and sent it in a large envelope.

I am currently working with somone on here to send over a template. I have asked them to send this template to anyone over there that may need it. I would be un-able to send it to everyone due to a lack of time and the costs involved in sending it over seas.

Dave

Can you just make a copy of the template out of cardboard. Then you could fold

it up and sent it in a large envelope.

Just taking a large sheet of paper, setting it on the spacer, and using some charcoal to do a rubbing of it would be awsome :D

The adapter is no where near as hard to make as it looks... even the outline shape can easily be made by placing a sheet of wood on the bell housing of an Ej22 engine and tracing it... this becomes your outside shape. Tracing the inside of the ea82 gear box to the opposite side of the sheet of wood is the tricky part to make your inside shape.

The bolt up holes at the top do not even have to be exact... mine turned out to be a few millimeters off.... this was easily fixed by making the top bolt up holes in the engine and gear box a little bigger.

The bottom 2 holes on the ej22 engine and the ea82 box line up exactly.... so you don't have to worry about not making it exaclty in the right spot because it will locate itself.

This is also the case with the flywheel.... having made the bolt holes larger on the ea82 flywheel... it also centers itself on a locating sleave on the ej22 engine which happens to be the exact same size is the location hole on the ea82 flywheel.

Adapter plate is made of Ally plate which i simply used a jig saw with an aggressive blade and set on a slow cut setting to cut it. Was truely way easier than i thought it would be.

Dave

The bolt up holes at the top do not even have to be exact... mine turned out to be a few millimeters off.... this was easily fixed by making the top bolt up holes in the engine and gear box a little bigger.

The bottom 2 holes on the ej22 engine and the ea82 box line up exactly.... so you don't have to worry about not making it exaclty in the right spot because it will locate itself.

This is also the case with the flywheel.... having made the bolt holes larger on the ea82 flywheel... it also centers itself on a locating sleave on the ej22 engine which happens to be the exact same size is the location hole on the ea82 flywheel.

Adapter plate is made of Ally plate which i simply used a jig saw with an aggressive blade and set on a slow cut setting to cut it. Was truely way easier than i thought it would be.

Dave

so the bottom studs from the motor line to the tranny the same? so that is ok from what i am reading.

i made one but i centered everything on the input shaft and offset the studs. i didnt like how it torqued down.

i used 3/8 aluminum and i had starter fitment issues.

i wouldnt mind building another one for 30 bucks again, this time i know to use 12mm aluminum, and to take advantage of the bottom studs. i found that i needed no flywheel spacer, and the flywheel centers on its own anyway. i slotted the holes with a drill press, and cut my adapter with a JIGSAW

i took mine apart, didnt like it, but i see that you did yours pretty much the same, and acheived success. congratulations on a working example! will this be the standard ej conversion?

Yes Ally means aluiminium... You will have to forgive my Aussie slang.

ok... The bottom studs bolts on the enigine go through adapter plate...through the gear box bottom bolt holes and then u put nuts and washes on them. That clamps the bottom of the adapter plate between the engine and gear box.

For the top ones you drill out the threads on the EJ engine.... then you bolt through the Ej engine top bolt holes into the thread in the adapter plate. You HAVE to make sure the bols bolting the enigne to the adapter plate do not protrude out the other side of the adapter plate or the gear box will not sit flush... i used some washers to make the bolts the perfect length.

Then you put the top bolts on the gear box through the gear box and into the thread in the adapter plate. Also being sure they wont poke out the other side of the adapter plate forcing the engine and adapter plate apart.... this would damage the threads.

I actually made the top bolt holes in the engine and gear box a little bigger by drilling them out to make them line up with the thread holes on the adapter plate.

I hope that makes sence.

Dave

• 2 months later...