Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aussie Hatch... Now ej22 Converted. (with pics)

SuBaRiNo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Did you have any issues with the radiator mounting or hook up?"

Used existing radiator... modified with tripple core and inlets were made larger and bent in the appropriate directions.

"Did you just add an in-line high psi fuel pump for the FI?"

Yes i used a high pressure fuel pump and from there to the engine, high pressure fuel lines were used.

I should have a site up soon outlining the conversion.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

If someone can send me a very accurate drawing of the adapter plate for this conversion, (and any adapter plate I guess), I could digitise it and then cut them professionally with A CNC water jet cutter. They could be made to look almost stock, such is the nice finish a water jet will give you. Best bit about it is they are reproduceable, anywhere. I have a pal in the states who does CNC cutting, so you Yanks need not miss out either, (I'm in AU).

Jet cutting isnt too cheap but considering the month of Sundays cutting one of these adapters by handwould require... it is probably well worth it. I cant get an accurate quote without a file to quote from but I'd be happy to do the digitising and arrange a quote for nix. There also may be some advantage in economies of scale. If I work out the best way to lay them out on the sheet, it may be possible to cut lots from the one blank. If any of you guys want to try and swing a semi-commerical sort of deal, just give me a shout.

If there are any other brackets and doo-dads you may require in ally or steel then by all means ask. Just be aware it sometimes isnt cheap unless you are cutting lots of the said item. Mind you, the finish is perhaps better than factory stamped components when its done well. Not to mention I can punch weight saving from them, add a simple logo even..:)

Just let me know !

Ok fellas... due to the increasing interest in this conversion i have started making a web site covering everything i did and how to do it. It will also include a "Make your own" template and adapter plate section which most will find very very handy.

The web site will also include mods like fitting air adjustable suspension to the rear end of MY subies and other stuff... I have lots of photos i will be adding that can be downloaded in high resolution.

The pics alone are enough to give most people the idea of how to do things.

With the pics i will have written explanations including part numbers of parts i had to by and references to extra information in Subaru manuals.

This web site wil also be very handy for people doing the same conversion to L-series subarus... the methods used are similar.

For anyone that is interested i have a few new photos of my subi playing about in the mud... they can be seen at.. http://community.webshots.com/album/183363690FESBfg

Site should be up in about a month.. possibly less... i will post when complete.

Dave

• 4 months later...

I am surprised that this isnt in the usrm archives for conversions of "frankenstein" nature, I have only been thinking about this conversion for about 3 months, cant wait to get done and help out with a write-up..............I need a life.

~Josh~

P.S. oh btw bump for all the converters out there.........i feel your pain.

Im sure if you sent one to Mudrat, he could make more for everyone else. Glad to see the swap, and the answers about the 12mm difference also make it sound pretty straightforward.

I was thinking of putting a EJ22 into my RX. I'll need to do more research, anyone know if the engine crossmembers on EA81's and EA82's are the same?

-Brian

its not hard to make your own, the bottom holes of the EJ22 motor and the EA series trannys line up perfectly, with that said al oyu have to do is use some 1/8'' plywood and make a pattern, drill out your dowel pin holes, on motor and tranny, and lay out the bolts for the motor and tranny, look in the EA to EJ conversion condensed thread for a link i posted about subarinos conversion, many a question will be answered. after you have a working pattern get yourself some 1/2'' steel or aluminum and cut it out, if you use aluminum you have to cut it with plasma cutter, and nothing else. if oyu dont, your adapter plate will warp because of the heat from a torch or acytelene cutter.

~Josh~

• 4 months later...
after you have a working pattern get yourself some 1/2'' steel or aluminum and cut it out

~Josh~

1/2 inch is not quite 12mm Ballitch.

I would skim the extra 1/2 mm off at the end with a belt sander or thicknesser.

Too much to go wrong by just 'rounding up to 1/2 inch'.

These are METRIC cars dude!

Get with it, the rest of the world has.

I used a scroll saw and a half-package of metal blades to cut mine. The edges aren't as nicely finished as I'd prefer but I will spend some time with a file and clean them up. I have yet to drill and tap the holes for the engine but I have drilled and tapped the holes for the transmission.

I have my XT6 flywheel at a machine shop - I found someone to mill out the holes to match the EJ22 crank for $40-$50 ... one shop quoted me $180 - I waited until I had politely thanked them and hung up before laughing.

you use aluminum you have to cut it with plasma cutter, and nothing else. if oyu dont, your adapter plate will warp because of the heat from a torch or acytelene cutter.

~Josh~

im actually currently working on getting the adapter kit from mudrat right now.... i just cant wait to see the faces on all my buddies with jeeps and trucks when i tell em im goin wheelin with em..... im hoping to be running some 7" of lift, and then some 30x9.5/15's...... should be done by the end of the summer, i hope....