Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, dead In water. Soob has no power to wheels like it's not in gear.

Hello my 92loyale with dr swap Is in trouble!!!

I am out of town and car broke down on girl friend...from what she has told me- Car has no power to wheels like it's not in gear. Stick "swims" into first but just revs. No power. Happened suddenly while she was driving.

If you have experienced this I would appreciate the advice.

So to sum it up, could be a stripped out hub in the front. Put it in 4wd if it's 4wd and it will move.

Could be stuck between 4wd gears. Major sure the shifter is properly engaged in either fwd, 4wd, or 4lo.

Could be the clutch.

Could also just be your shifter linkage came loose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ha wow.  

Well the CV for sure. It really just sh** out everywhere. What a mess.

FE6RMH2.jpg?1

She said the steering got a little weird and but could see no visual problem. So drove on if further untill complete blowout / disconnect. 

How dangerous can a axle failure be? Seems a little wild! This was a new axle I had just installed. 

Ol Loyal is really not likin the 2" lift. I like it VVV . Really need to get that crossmember/ subframe droppped. 

YWuVKUg.jpg

Bigger angles, [from the lift] probably makes more stress on the joints. 

I don't think the inner joint fail would cause any dangerous steering effect.  Outer, probably feel more.  I had an outer boot fail once, and didn't discover until the joint was already ruined, and clicking.  Drove it for a while longer due to not having time, until it got bad enough to cause shimmy in the steering wheel.  I have not had one fail completely.  As far as I know, I have all OEM axles.   I have always rebuilt them, some saved from previous cars, some bought used a scrapyards and rebuilt. 

Is the other CV joint on that shaft a "floating" joint?

Every inner front CV I've ever seen is more square to allow the shaft to move in & out slightly to allow for the suspension movement. If it doesn't have this on at least one of the joints, it'll pull out (like what's happened to you) over bumps or turning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the other CV joint on that shaft a "floating" joint?

Every inner front CV I've ever seen is more square to allow the shaft to move in & out slightly to allow for the suspension movement. If it doesn't have this on at least one of the joints, it'll pull out (like what's happened to you) over bumps or turning.

I was thinking this. That's an odd looking inner joint. Doesn't look like there would be much play in that.