Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 forester. what ac compressors work?

Has been seized since I bought it. Winter wasn't bad but now its hot and this car just does not blow cool air from the vents like some do.

Car part shows a 2001 Impreza going back to 1998 cars but 2001 forester only goes 2001-2002... Local place has both but Impreza listing brings up a $45 one, other is $65 for forester

Did the pulley seize or did the hub seize?

If just the pulley seized then you can just pop a new compressor on and recharge it.

If the compressor seized internally there's a good chance the rest of the system is full of metal, which means there's a good chance the new compressor will fail quickly if you don't flush out the lines and replace the condenser and filter/drier at the very least. Take the lines off the compressor and check for metal flakes in them. Any metal at all in the system will ruin a new compressor in short order.

If I open them and put them right back, it won't hurt will it?  I know the standing rule with Subaru A/C is they don't 'need' evacuated to work sufficently. But I don't want to buy a compressor till I know it's worth messing with.. I'm at 228k miles but only 10k of them are mine so it's still an unknown car really