Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback LL Bean front seat issue

Have a problem with my 2001 Outback LL Bean wagon front drivers seat.  It is the eight way power seat with heat and side air bag, and the problem is with the seat recline feature.  

In the past, it would occasionally "give" when too much pressure was applied (like when you reach in your back pocket for your wallet in the drive through).  Now it won't stay wherever you adjust it to.  It will adjust normally if you are not sitting in it, but it "releases" on any pressure put on the seat back.  I have lowered the rear seat which helps hold the seat back up, but I obviously can't keep driving it this way.

I have pulled the seat out enough to remove the left hand side cover to check the gears.  I found no missing or ground down teeth, so I'm thinking it has to do with the gear attachment to the seat back itself?!?!

I want to try and get a replacement seat to use while I troubleshoot the original one.  What other seats will fit?  The only thing I am concerned with is that it has an airbag, as I want to avoid an ABS fault.  I don't care if it's cloth or leather, heated or not, manual or electric - just so it bolts in and gets me down the road for now.  Help!

ST1100,

You are on the right track. There should be enough OBW LTD's and LL Beans from that generation (2000 - 2004) for you to find a replacement seat that will be a direct bolt in, after connecting the seat heater, air bag and power seat wiring connectors. I wouldn't get into trying to fix yours if you've never done anything like it before. Myself (been wrenching on cars for 45 years), I'd tackle it.

Even if you find a good seat, but its the incorrect colour, you can change your leather surfaces onto the new replacement, or have an auto upho;sterer do it for you. Trying to get specific parts to fix just that section of the power seat will be almost impossible, and extremely expensive even if you could. Find a replacement seat in decent shape, and if its the wrong colour, put your leather covers on it. There are YouTube videos on how to do the job if you tackle it yourself. Good Luck!

there you go, get caboob's seat.

any 2000-2004 outback/legacy seat will bolt in and work. 

if it doesn't have an air bag the SRS system won't come on and the airbag light will light up in the dash. 

the ABS will work just fine regardless of the seats - you can test my recommendation by simply unplugging your existing seat to mimmick. 

if you don't want an SRS light - and you want your airbags to work you will have to:

1.  get any seat bolted in and install a resistor that matches the seat air bag

2.  get a 2000-2004 equipped seat with air bags in it - i think that's only available in H6's and maybe even only the VDC models?   in which case you're then limited to 2001-2004 models only, as 2000's didn't have an H6. 

www.cars101.com will tell you which models in 2000-2004 had side impact air bags

www.car-part.com will list a wide variety of seats if you're looking for something different

Managed to get the seat out of a 2001 LL Bean with less than 100K miles on it.  It will bolt in AND match the upholstery color and pattern will match.  Yea!!  

Thanks to all who replied, BTW.  Didn't mean to be rude!!

Edited by ST1100
  • Like 1