Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanted Performance Upgrades EJ2.2

Anyone have any hints or suggestions on where I can find information on what I can do to increase HP and performance to my 1995 Subaru EJ2.2 Engine. Performance Parts, Cams, Suppliers, etc.

Thanks Jon

Jon,

I am sure that some may have a problem with this statement but here I go.

Why would you want to spend any money on a 9 year old?

Even if you do the work yourself you still need to purchase the parts and at the end of the day you still have a 95 Subaru Legacy.

When you fix all the oil leaks and the gas sensors that's a great car to get you from point A to point B and back. You can't ask for more from a family car.

Hmmm....

I think I will have to disagree with Drquasievil.

The ej22 isn't exactly a b16a or a d15...The ej22 has tons of potential.

It will still get you "from point A to point B" but, with some goodies, it will be a lot more fun. And what does being 9 years old have to do with making your car fun?

As a stock powerplant the 2.2 is rad...Tons of torque, decent hp...SUPER stiff valve springs, beautifully big pistons, etc...

As for parts...

There's 2.2 forged pistons, billet connecting rods, cams, SS valves, exhaust...There's tons of stuff for that motor to get it breathing better.

Start with the basics...Give your car a good tune up...NGK wires, new plugs, a colder thermostat, etc...Then move onto other stuff...An intake is good, just make sure you get a good strong bracket so your MAS isn't jumping and shifting around...Then exhaust....There's tons of stuff to do, it just depends on your monetary situation.

There's tons of places out there now...Check out:

RalliTek http://www.rallitek.com/

ISR performance http://www.isrperformance.com/

Easy Street Motorsports http://www.esxmotorsports.com/esx.htm

Tony Rigoli http://www.rigoliracing.com.au/

Boxer4racing http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/

Cya

Dan

Guys..

Thank you for all of your responses. Maybe I’ve should of mentioned that the EJ2.2 engine is installed into an older VW Beetle project car. Correct the engine is nine years old, but it only has about 6K original miles on it and is just getting broken in as it’s becoming street legal in it’s new transplanted VW body. It has plenty of power and currently blows away most stock mustang 5.0’s… I’m just looking to do some research on how to get more out of the engine. Maybe even Turbo charging if that can be accomplished without breaking the bank. Keep in mind that the car only weighs about 1700-1800 lbs, so there is a big HP to weight ratio here. Not running cat’s or emissions. Plus the car is being built for mostly street cruising, and the occasional car show so I want to retain that sleeper look. The engine is strong, just looking to get more out of it, and to turn some faster times in the 1\4 mile.

Thanks again. Jon

Oh-ooo yes, it has dusted more then a few Camaros. The best part of it all is the shock on the other drivers faces of the unsuspecting cars when my little BugaRu lunches off of a stop light like a rocket. The car is currently partially torn down paint touchup and new custom interior. In about two weeks it should be back together and at our Local Track for “Punch-Buggy Day” I do have a few pics but they don’t show the engine, just looks like any other beetle. I will have some new pics soon as I get it together.. How would I post a Pic on this site? So what can be done to this engine to make it a little hotter? The word is out on the street and the big guns are gunning for me. Just looking for a little more ammunition as I enter the next hostile street rod.

Thanks Jon

Hey Snot..

I think I remember chatting with you. Didn't you recently upgrade your Subaru powerplant, bad cams or something like that. Also I remember something like a bad ground wire or something like that with your ECU???

Hows the BugaRu running, have you had it to the track yet?

Jon

No, I blew the first engine up. Something about bouncing it off the rev limiter...

I had something wired up wrong, so when you went to turn the key to start it, the ECU lost power.

Right now, I have some sort of misfire problem. I don't have the check engine light or any of the diagnostics stuff hooked up right now, so that's making it a little more difficult.

I did take it to the track once. There were some issues that day too. First, I had just broke a CV joint, and I was an hour from home and I didn't want to do it again. Also, the bug had a bad case of the "shakes". Third, my throttle was only opening 3/4 of the way.

Sooooo, I couldn't launch it, and I didn't have full throttle.

I cut a 15.08 @ 88. I'm sure it's a 14.5 second car. I waxed a Jetta's asssss!

Snot.

You’ve gots to get that BugaRu firing on all four cylinders. You should be able to turn better times then the 15 second mark. I’ve only had my car to the track once and due to the long staging lines I only made one run. I jumped the Christmas tree, and was disqualified. But my unofficial time was 13.7…. I really think I can do better times, I’m thinking in the 12’s, and with a little more preformance upgrades maybe even lower times. My car currently has a drag trans in it so it’s great gearing for the track, but considering building a Highway Flyer for going down the road.

Radiator mounts upright in the front where the spare tire once was. For ventilation the radiator has an electric fan, cooling is provide via air vents cut into the front nose of the car. The stock VW Bug trans can handle the engine, but I have chosen to go with a beefed up VW Bug trans. The VW Bug is a popular conversion myself, and SnotRocket chose to use the washerbox Subaru engine, whereas others have used any verity of engines, from Madza’s to V8’s including the WRX engines but most require some modification of the exterior deck lid for clearances. My personal option is I couldn’t have chose a better engine then the Subaru engine conversion, it fits uncluttered into the VW engine compartment like it was made from the factory to do so deck lid even shuts flush and the normal unsuspecting person would never know! Plus it runs cool, it’s sturdy and has plenty of torque plus the engine still has room for performance up grades.

thats very cool. So you had to run feed a return hoses under the body from the radiator all the way back to the engine?

I am verry interested in this and would love to see any picture either of you have.

I have seen a bug with a chevy small block in it. but i didnt get close enough to see how they did it.

the coolest bug upgrade i have been close to was when a neighbor of mine put a suped up VW buss motor in his Super. That motor judging from the looks of it is very similar to the EJ22 if it was carbed insted of FI. infact it had 2 carbs on it. i dont know if this was stock for the buss, or one of his upgrades, but that bug did fly.

I spent 0 time making it pretty.

KKJZE-IM000043.JPG

But it cools very well. Yes, coolant tubes run the length of the car.

OhChit-yeah, I know, it can go faster. But I KNOW the tranny will blow chunks if I hammer it. On the plus side, I now have a tow bar for it, so if I oil the track, I can get it home. So now I have an excuse to be mean to it.

Yeah, the pans:rolleyes:

Actually, the cooling lines are external, they run across the bottom of the car. Some people run them inside the car, it looks like that is easier to do with the body off (which I wasn't willing to do).

That radiator came out of a Pulsar NX. I desoldered the brackets, turned them all upside down, and soldered the hole for the radiator cap shut. In the pic, in the upper right, is a bleed valve to remove air. Coolant is added in the engine bay via a vanagon pressure tank. It takes a long time to fill the system when it's empty. But when the air is out, it stays that way.

On my system, it is setup and uses a radiator reserve water tank, and a overflow located at a higher point then the radiator to allow for filling, and adequate expansion and re-supply of water to the Radiator. But my radiator is mounted in the upright position and located in the spare tire wheel-well just behind the front of the hood as would be found on most cars. Keeps things pretty C@@L..