Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Aftermarket Ignition Coil?

Anybody have any opinions/experience with aftermarket coils?Which ones work best? Also, could someone give me the basics of what it means when a it says a coil can take so many ohms and volts? I'm guessing the higher the volts and ohms the higher quality the coil, but I would like to know more specifically how it effects my ignition system. 

Found this one on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-40511-Flame-Thrower-Volt-Coil/dp/B00199BO4C/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41-dCPXkCNL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=C55NV0D2MFE0HRV4WM0T 

Does this look like a good one? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HLZ6JG/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

I have been using this one since 2012 in the 87 Brat.  There was nothing wrong with the original one.  The Hitachi has been working well and fit perfectly; I also believe it is from Japan.  The coil in the link you provided has good reviews.  I was not worried about resistance etc.

Ok, 84 & EA81, I never had.  I ran a Mallory marine racing coil and breakerless conversion on my 76.  That made a difference, most noticeable was easier starting.

The EA82 system is already a very hot & high voltage spark, so I never messed with it.

Stick with the factory ones.  If yours is getting tired see if you can find a stock replacement.  I ran an accel super stock for awhile but its really not worth the money and there are zero gains to be had.  

Could you explain a little more in depth why that is? Shouldnt running a better/hotter/whatever you want to call it coil mean better overall preformance in the engine/ignition?

I use the Accel SuperStock yellow. I bought mine over 15 years ago, have had the Brat 19 years so far. It has caused no issues what so ever. Many forum members were using them way back when and was recommended by a few old time members. They have since outsourced that coil and the quality has dropped so your pick maybe a better choice. From my experience, over 15 years, a higher output coil will hurt nothing unless there is some other difference I am unaware of.

• Like 1

Could you explain a little more in depth why that is? Shouldnt running a better/hotter/whatever you want to call it coil mean better overall preformance in the engine/ignition?

Well we are talking about a 74 hp motor so really it doesn't need a super hot spark to run well. Will an aftermarket coil produce a hotter spark. Yes. Will you actually be able to tell the difference. Probably not. I couldn't. Not to mention the quality of accel coils is crap. Mine didn't last more than a year before it blew out the pickup in my distributor. I swapped all back to stock and never had a coil related problem again.

Edited by hatchsub
  • Like 1

Well we are talking about a 74 hp motor so really it doesn't need a super hot spark to run well. Will an aftermarket coil produce a hotter spark. Yes. Will you actually be able to tell the difference. Probably not. I couldn't. Not to mention the quality of accel coils is crap. Mine didn't last more than a year before it blew out the pickup in my distributor. I swapped all back to stock and never had a coil related problem again.

Thanks for the good explanation. I was not going to get the Accel coil just because I have heard a lot of negative stuff about em. I might just go with the hitachi coil that aba4430 posted, or just try to find an OEM one when mine finally bites the dust. 

I would compare the current draw of the new coil to the stock one. The ignitor may fail prematurely with an increase in current draw from a heavy duty coil. The stock ones work pretty well though, what are you hoping to gain?

I agree with crazyeights, but not exactly about the current draw, but about the Resistance  values, which are very important, to avoid a premature fail of the ignition module; you know, the module is designed to work at certain resistance from the coil; if you change it with a lower resistance or higher resistance, it will directly reduce the lifespan of the ignition module.

Reducing the Resistance from the ignition coil, is like switching from regular bulbs to LED bulbs on your blinkers, they'll start to blink faster due to the lower resistance; but in the case of the ignition module, it will deliver the signal in a non proper way, which might lead to receive feedback somehow, due to the lack of enough resistance, and that damages the ignition modules for sure, and let you stranded in the middle of nowhere...

Regarding the ignition Coil's resistance values, as far as I know, the "Nippon-Denso" distributors are more permissive than the "Hitachi" distrubutors, found on EA81 and EA82 engines. 

I use the Accel SuperStock yellow. I bought mine over 15 years ago, have had the Brat 19 years so far. It has caused no issues what so ever. Many forum members were using them way back when and was recommended by a few old time members. They have since outsourced that coil and the quality has dropped so your pick maybe a better choice. From my experience, over 15 years, a higher output coil will hurt nothing unless there is some other difference I am unaware of.

Also I run my "BumbleBeast" with an Accel Superstock yellow "High Vibration" ignition coil, but made in USA, since many, many years ago, and the thing runs Flawlessly, but the current draw / resistance values of it, are very close to the stock ignition coil, for my "Nippon-Denso" distributor, on the EA82. 

Further information and resistance values, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1106258

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

Having a higher resistance will not lead to ignition module failure. Lower, yes. With higher, depending on how much higher, you will run into a loss of firing power from the coil as the input signal from the module to fire the coil will be 'weakened' by the higher resistance resulting in a 'dirty' firing signal that will result in lower saturation and less spark voltage. Yes, new Accel coils are crap. Even MSD coils are starting to come into question. Thanks outsourcing to China and Taiwan. I have an Accel Supercoil on my '76 3/4 ton Chevy. It's been on that engine for almost 20 years without so much as a hiccup. Of course, that's a 9.5:1 compression 400hp engine, so it needs it. Your Subie engine... Yeah.... Not so much.

• Like 1

im running a multiple spark discharge ignition box (procomp al6) with a stock coil on my ea82 it made a huge differance on every motor ive ever run them on 40 hp to 400 hp they just burn the fuel better the stock coil is holding up to the double duty multi spark just fine i do carry a spare but in 4 years have never needed it if you want a smoother more pepier motor just pick up a multi spark box i like my procomp al6 but its just a clone of the msd al6 box there are others like malory and there are alot of other clones out there msd make a cheap modle called the street fire pep boys used to sell them for $99 but that was a long time ago i got mine used but new in box for cheap its outlasted all the cars its been on and its still going the single best mod ive ever done on my suby

Great info JesZeK as always :)

Thank you! 

... Of course, that's a 9.5:1 compression 400hp engine, so it needs it. Your Subie engine... Yeah.... Not so much.

I understand that statement. A hotter spark isn't needed in regular conditions.

In my case, I wanted a Hotter Spark / advance further the ignition timing, because I upgraded the Regular Hitachi "Feedback" carburetor, on my EA82, with a 32/36 "Progressive" Weber carburetor, and somehow I felt that a hotter spark will manage better the difference in Air / fuel mixture on the RPM's range... and it did it; the Accel "Superstock" ignition coil, plus augmenting the ignition timing from 8º to 20º (Carbureted EA82 should be at 8º +/- 2º while Fuel Injected EA82 shall be at 20º), made a small, but noticeable difference in the overall engine's performance, in different aspects, including the exhaust smoke, that came cleaner.

Kind Regards.