Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 alternator!

I installed the xt6 alternator on my car, it works real well too! At 800rpm idle, I can have all fog lights, a spot light, full blast heater, and high beams on, and windsheild wipers, and it still holds above 12 volts, it's awsome.

took the spacer off of the one I got the pully from, and grinded about half an inch off, and stuck it on, had to shim the pully and spacer up a bit as the armiture of the xt6 alternator is a 1/16th of an inch smaller than the ea81 armiture is. So at the moment, I'm using a piece of thin carpet for the shiming, but I'm gonna find a metal sleeve for a permanent fix.

Can a speciality auto electrical shop modify the existing EA81 alternator to get higher output? Anyone tried this. The Beck & Arnley 186-0595 (XT6) is @$106 at Autozone? Perhaps I will have to bite the bullet and go this route for my 87 Brat. I have a serious problem with the dash voltmeter reading below 12 volts with everything on.

Thx,

aba4430

Generally alternators have to have certain windings and electromagnets to produce a given current, it's cheeper to do with the 106 dollar alternator than to have the guts of an orginal ea81 converted, simply because the cost of the heavy duty coil windings, and rectifiers is about that much anyway. Have to realise high current semiconductors arn't cheap, and if ya need diods to handle 90amps or more, they're gonna be around 20 bucks a piece, and any given alternator has around 6 Diods, or rectifiers, same thing. The wireing for an xt6 alternator is identical to an ea81 alternator, and they mount on the same bracket, the only issue with the conversion is the pully, it has to be changed from a cerpitain belt pully to a v-belt pully. I read that a mitsubishi forklift alternator pully fits right on to a xt6 alternator shaft. I think it's mitsubishi anyway. I found it really cheap to get one from pull apart for 12 bucks, bolt it on, and away I am.:grin:

and if you don't want to spend the time at a junkyard trying to find the right pully/spacer, you can take it to an auto electric shop. there's a guy near me, who I've taken in an xt6 alt, and for $20 he orders and outs on brand new spacer and pulley.

Take a look on this site, http://www.wagneralt.com/ .Got to the catalog page, login per instructions, select electrical components from the left menu, then select pulleys under alternator. 2/3 down the page you will find a half pulley #W055-37. That is the pulley that was mounted on my XT6 alt by a local electrical shop (best I can tell from just eyeballing it). #W055-35 might also be a one piece that is useable. Someone call them and ask tech support, they are supposed to be very helpful. Haven't done it myself, have been too busy.

As an aside, my XT6 alt just went belly up. Now I have to replace it.

Some vehicles have external voltage regulators, and if an alternator puts out more current than the voltage regulator is designed for, it'll fy the voltage regulator... Also another case that can happen, wich I'm actually going to look into fixing, is the battery wire on the alternator may not be a big enough gauge, and could get real hot, if a huge load is put on the alternator. Although I think my car will be fine as long as I don't go drawing a whole 90 amps out of the alternator. But I am thinking about routing a new battery wire.