Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester Speedometer not working. VSS changed but not getting any signals from it

Hi all,  thank you in advance for taking your time to read this.

I just purchased 1998 Forester.  Automatic.  Miles unknown odometer shows 97k but it's not working.

The speedometer and odometer is not working at all.  It's giving me code P1507 and idles rough almost stalling.

I've searched the forum and changed VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but speedo is still not working.  

I've jacked up the car, put it on jack stands (all 4 tires off the ground) so i can put the car in D and simulate driving.

When i simulated driving without the VSS, where the VSS connects is not spinning at all.  (see picture)

Should this be spinning when car is driving so it can spin the VSS?  

If so am i screwed?  what can i do to fix this?

post-55845-0-20861900-1466048200_thumb.jpg

Yes that is supposed to spin.

If it's not spinning its because the drive gear inside the trans is stripped.

I don't remember details on replacing it on the auto trans. IIRC the front differential case has to come off.

thanks Fairtax4me.  

so it looks like crap load of work just to make this work.  sucks because everything else is working great.

is there anyway to bypass this?  like use other sensor to get signal to the speedometer and to ECU.  Or is it impossible because the VSS is the only thing in a car that sends AC current?

There are some aftermarket speed sensors that you can attach to an axle or the drive shaft. It's basically a wheel with some fingers on it, and you mount a magnet sensor so it can read the fingers as they spin around.

People generally use them for conversions and custom builds where a cable driven speedometer is being replaced by a digital one.

Try looking around the internebs for add-on speed sensors and I'm sure you'll stumble across a few.

Might cost a couple hundred bucks, but if you're deterred by taking the trans apart its a viable option since the sensors just bolt on.

Edited by Fairtax4me

thanks Fairtax4me. 

i really don't care about the speedometer working.  i want to fix it because the ECU is not getting speed signal so the car stalls while coasting, specially on downhill.

if i can bypass or fool the ECU, i want to avoid pulling the transmission as much as possible since there's nothing wrong with the transmission.