Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hood bowed from stiff hinges

This happened to me on my '69 Coupe, very long years ago, But it has Springs (self sustains up).

I straightened the hood, lubricated well the Hinges and added a Reinforcement underneath, by welding one foot long piece of angled steel, of 1¼" X 1¼" X ⅛" to each side, underneath the hood; then I painted it.

Never had the issue happening again, so far...

Kind Regards.

Straightened a few hoods by cutting a length of structural lumber to fit between the lip of where the fender bolts on under the hood.

Place it forward of the bend and use your body weight to to push the bend out by hand.

If the support section of the hood is kinked any, you will have to resort to rougher methods, then do as JesZek says with the reinforcement.

• Like 1

The hinges are fine on the car but the hood has a bend in it suggesting at some point it was bent from not wanting to close.

I've painted it already so I'd like to straighten it without welding but that can be a last resort.

It seems fine across the centre, and along the front. It's just up by the mounts that it bows down. Thanks for the ideas