Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tehachapi, California

Guest Richieroo

Guest Richieroo

Hey there hi there how there!:D

I just thought I wuold intorduce myself. Rich here,..... I live in Tehachapi, California. That is west of Mojave by 25 miles and east of Bakersfield by 45 miles. Trying to get my Subaru Hatchback GL up and running! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am a CNC Programmer and machinist for 25 years. I have been doing side jobs for a while and if ya'll got a real good idea for the "Soobie community" then give me a buzzzzz!

Anyone in this area feel free to contact me and we can hook up!

Rich:D

mvcnc@hotmail.com

Guest hocrest

Hey Rich,

Welcome!

This is unrelated but strange. For years I have wondered about Tehachapi and Tonapah. (Little Feat fans will understand) And for years I have never heard of them in any context but the song. Someday last week NPR was interviewing someone from Tonapah (TX I think) And now you show up on the board from Tehachapi.

This is a very strong sign to play some Little Feat NOW.

(sorry for the half drunk babble)

Guest Richieroo

If you know about Little Feat then you know about Jackson Browne and his friendship with the leader (name escapes me! ) Anyway Jackson old stuff is somuch better than the liberal save the earth and whales music he put out in the eighties. ,............babling too!

Where are you located?:|

See ya:D

Rich

Guest hocrest

Yeah the early Jackson was much better. I was never aware of a JB - LF connection, but I'll throw some names at you; Lowell George (dead), Paul Barrare, Billie Payne, Richie Hayerd, a few others at times but thats all I can think of off hand.

Is Tehachapi as cool of a place as it sounds in the song?

I'm in Pottsville located in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Guest Richieroo

OH YEAH!! Lowell George and Jackson were really great friends, forgot where I heard it but they were. I think Lowell was from Texas or some foreign land over there.

Tehchapi is growing but a very nice small community......fo a while. Ther is Bear Valley Springs that is west of Tehachapi enclosed by a gate. It is still very nice and not too many snobs are there, although there are quite a few Hollywood people, but they seem to know the value of what they in the way of solitude and quietness. Nothing real bif here yet.

Pretty nice after grwoing up in the LA Basin for most of my youth.

Rich

Guest ShawnW

So can you make a cylander head socket tool for me with that realm of skills/talents you have there Richieroo? Im looking for somebody to duplicate the Subaru Factory Tool that is no longer available from a dealer anymore.

Guest Richieroo

Hmmm....|I am not sure, i will have to look at one more closely. There is always the possiblility!:)

Keep those ideas coming to me, maybe we can work something out. Have you tried ebay looking for the tool?

Rich:D

Guest ShawnW

Well one has come up on Ebay once in a while but im more looking for somebody to make more than 1, theres got to be at least 15 guys here that would like one.

Guest Richieroo

Hey Shawn, can you give me a digital pic of the bolts on the cyl head? Do you know any dimensions to that bolt?

Rich

Guest ShawnW

You might appreciate looking under your valve cover to see what I am talking about.....they are the 17MM bolts and the primary problem is the ones that you have to turn that around the valve rockers.

• 1 month later...
Guest mtsmiths

... my family owned a ranch on the south slope above Mojave, where we lived in the late 40's. Then it was a working forested cattle ranch. Now it's a denuded windfarm.

My dad was in the Air Force and stationed at (what was then Muroc) Edwards AFB as a flight instructor, and we lived on the family ranch. In the mid 90's my wife and I flew thru and camped at the glider port, and then flew over the 'homestead', long since sold (too damn bad). When I was a kid I visited Pancho Barnes' Happy Bottom Riding Club ... watch 'The Right Stuff' sometime to get an idea of what it was like.

Pop also worked as a brakeman at the cement plant, still there I think.

All in all, I think I like Montana better these days.