Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Location of Dipstick for Front Differential Gear Oil - 99 Outback

I have a 99 OBW, seem to remember it sits low on the passenger side near the firewall. I don't remember a yellow ring. The dip stick is small, with what I remember a finger loop to pull out the stick. Stick is only about 3-4 inches long. Not anything as obvious as the oil dip stick.

Opps  - My mistake - it should read:  Location of Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick - Sorry - Thanks, Captain Jack

It is located at the fire wall on driver's side. The dip stick handle is hidden under hoses and cables. Using your hand, mover them out of the way, so you can reach through them. Good idea to use a flash light to look down into that dark area. Yes, I think it does have a yellow handle.

My dip stick handle always seems stuck, and difficult to pull out, so don't be surprised if you have to pull hard to extract it from it's circular tube encasement.

On mine it had a small yellow ring tab, like big enough for your pinkie. It was near-ish to the brake fluid reservoir as a landmark but yes having to kind of reach down in there maybe 6-8 inches below hoodline. It you don't see it, it is possible it is missing, like someone removed it and didn't put it back for some reason.