Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea63 rocker assembly

I am in need of the correct order of all the rocker shaft bits.  I have a random, loud knocking when warm from the rh valvetrain.  The engine was rebuilt by a dealer a long time ago and I suspect they didn't reassemble them correctly.  If it is the same as an ea71 then I have an extra washer and also a spring washer in the wrong spot.  I am normally not a desperate guy but I'm under a lot of pressure to bring this car to our big summer meet this weekend!

It says the assembly is different from side to side but it doesn't clarify which side the pic is for. And would I be wrong to assume it is from front the rear?  I did notice on mine the LH spacer was marked 'LH' and the RH spacer was marked 'L'. Does anyone have length measurements of the spacers?

I also removed and inspected all the pushrods, all Ok.  The insides of the rocker covers are so clean you could eat off of them so I'm sure this car in its entirety has been well cared for.  The RH rocker shaft had two flat washers stacked right after the front snap ring.  Something weird is going on here...

I'm using my ea71 brat motor that I rebuilt as a comparison to how I think this one should sound.  You can hardly tell if its running or not its so quiet. My 85 brat with a solid lifter ea81 is a different story, it sounds like a diesel. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I remember early on in my GSR (EA63S) ownership in the 70s/80s that I had to rebuild the engine and one of the aspects was worn rocker shafts. The replacement ones appeared to be heat treated and had a dull grey finish.

Obviously this was a known issue that Subaru was addressing... along with multiple head gasket revisions :-)

I recall when rebuilding that I placed the spacers/wave washers to get the rocker finger to be as central to the valve stem as possible.