Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's been a long time since I've posted. Ahhh, this feels good. Anyways, my diff support bushings are toast. I'm looking into options to replace them. Does anyone have any advice on specific products or procedures to do the job? If I have to drop the differential, I'd like to do the diff mount bushings too, pending time and money. Here is what I think can be installed; please correct me if I'm wrong:

Support bushings (ones on the outrigger near the outside edge of the vehicle):

Whiteline W91379

and for the diff mount bushings (ones at the rear of the diff):

Whiteline W91380

Do these look like the correct parts? Thanks for verifying.

Here is a vid of a similar procedure that I have found. This guy pulled the entire support bracket out to do the job. Is this how you guys have done it or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

SK

the 'dirty' way to do those is use 3M WindoWeld (or w'ever it's called)

read of someone that cleaned the mount bushing area, supported the diff so it was centered in the bushings, used pieces cut from a hockey puck (I think) stuffed in there, and squirted the windoweld in - he used some fender washers or something to hold everything in place during curing.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I think I get what you mean from your English. The thought of making my own bushings has crossed my mind. I'd like to do this more substantially, due to the condition of the car. It's a great vehicle. Any other advice?

older gen you used to be able to buy the entire assembly with bushings installed from Subaru for a reasonable price - did you check with them?
used parts could be an option too those rear diff bushings don't fail terribly often. 

different set up than yours but gives some scope on bushing removal and diff hangers:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122627-rear-differential-bushings-write-up-wpart-number-subaru-legacy-90-94/

if you can believe the comments - this guy says his winoweld fix has lasted 2 years so far;

Dee J2 years ago

To fix correctly it is 8 hours labor. Poor mans fix that usually works... Clean area where old bushings were thoroughly, clean again w/ brake cleaner etc. Place jack under differential till bolts are center and squirt in 3M Window Weld generously, let dry at least one day. Have done this and it has held up perfect no thanks to a very poor design by Subaru. Their "staked" U-Joints can also be replaced even tho they say it can't. ;)

James Javillonar

James Javillonar3 weeks ago

Is it still holding? Also, ive seen some with big washers to hold in the 3m window weld. Do you recommend?

Dee J

Dee J3 days ago

Yes, it is still holding great and there is no need for washers.

here's a coupla videos;

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The hard part is getting room to knock the old bushing sleeves out. They're tucked up in there with the spare tire well in the way.

The outrigger bushings are easy enough once it's removed from the car, assuming you have a press. Its a bit harder to remove the rear crossmember though.

• 3 weeks later...