Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD for EA 71 5sp

Astro12

I have tried with no success to research a possible LSD to fit in my EA71 5spd gearbox. So if anyone out there has had experience with such a conversion, any information would be much appreciated. There are plenty of options out there for later model gearboxes, but I am unsure if they will fit my earlier model gears. My first question would be does anyone have experience or knowledge of dimensions of the crown wheel mounting flanges on early and late models? Are they compatible? I have not pulled mine apart as yet so I cannot measure.

Second question, do all ratio crown wheels feature the same mounting flange ID? The reason I ask is that I have previously modified other live axles and they required different carriers for certain ratios. I would prefer to fit the highest ratio gears I can as the vehicle is not a road car and would benefit from a high ratio gear set.

Will the centres from the rear axle, ie,R160,fit into the gearbox?

Thanks in advance,

Astro.

Short answer  : No ... :ph34r:

Mid answer : There are some R160 LSD's that were used for rally, but extremely rare ... :(

Long answer : There was somebody on here who looked into making a LSD to fit the R160 & heard there's another crowd funding mob looking to make one - but as far as I know nothing has eventuated as yet - so don't hold your breath as it might take a while ... :/

I've been told that the rear R160 center crown gear may fit in some transmissions, but can't confirm that ... :blink:

Cheers, Bantum ...

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your replies, grossgary, I had not previously seen the thread you recommended, plenty of relavant info there.

turbosubarubrat, I believe I already have a 'fat case' gearbox so that make me think that the conversion may be possible.

Two wheel burnouts here we come!!

• Like 1