Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New brake system on GL?

So I bought a gorgeous 2wd hatchback and everything on it is goorgeeeeous to a fault. Consistently maintained, no major rust, interior is nice, gearbox is working well, oil and coolant leaks are minor and under control. Dedicated picture thread for the car coming soon so I can show her off.

The brakes, however, have not agreed to age so finely. The car takes some coercion to stop, to a degree I consider unsafe around contemporary cars. The current master cylinder outputs force at a rate equal to the force of my foot on the pedal. I have strong legs but the car is still 2500 pounds.

I want to do the following:

New rotors

Bigger calipers, under 14 or 15 inch alloy rims

The nastiest brake fluid I can buy

A more robust master cylinder

Potentially even new lines

R1 concepts can build new old-gen Subaru-spec rotors to order, and I've heard that they're pretty well made. Any other parts suggestions that will fit without major hub modifications?

I just did disc brakes on the back of my 87 hatchback ea81 there is a GL 10 at the junkyard by me if it has disc brakes I could hold them and you could install them on the rear of your car I don't know if it'll solve the problem you're having but it is a definite upgrade and it's a direct bolt in all you would have to do is get the calipers turned or possibly buy new ones depending on condition and same with brake pads I could probably pulled the parts and get them for like 75 bucks plus shipping if you're interested like I said if the car has disc brakes

I would do a simple brake assessment and reconditioning.  A couple bucks and an hour you can have it locking up the wheels like it should and bigger brakes can't do any more than that if you're not racing or towing huge loads.

Clean and regrease with quality grease like Sil Glyde

Replace rusted/damaged brake clips or boots.

Flush the fluid.

That should be it but if needed, new pads and resurface the rotors. 

That car had rear drum but I believe the drum is bigger on the 8th 82. I'm about to get one for parts if you'd like me to pull the drums and send them to you. Ea82 had a self adjuster in the drum and a proportioning valve for the rears..