Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys need some guidance here. I own a 99 subaru forester s and the windshield wipers don't work properly. The wipers Park to far both ways so they slam into the edge of the window on both the bottom and side. They do not do this everytime they go up and down but often. And each time they go in their rotation they stop at different points on the windshield. This also only happens when the windshield is wet. If dry the wipers stop normally maybe even a bit not far enough. The more wet the windshield is the more the wipers slap against the edges of the window. Ive already take off the panel to inspect the wiper linkage and cannot find any issues with it. The arms have no issues either and the arms lock into place when bolted on as well. What else could be the issue? Anyone else had similar issues? I'd be very appreciative if someone could share some expertise on this topic and move me in the proper direction to fixing the issue. Thanks

Look up replacing the Wiper Arm Bushings.....surely many posts on here/ online. My '98 Foz had same/similar issue and these fixed it.

TD

Thanks for the quick reply. Those bushings are what goes on the ends of linkage near where it bolts into the frame yes? They go around a kinda spherical part? If so those that you posted don't look exactly like mine but close... Maybe mine are broken.i did notice a small amount of wiggle room there like the linkage wouldn't stay flush with the bushing. But the freeplay was so little I couldn't imagine that being the cause of my problems. If I can find a set of threm in a nearby store tomorrow I will and post the results. Thanks! Edited by Maddog66

I had the same problem with my 99 OBW. I replaced a broken bushing with a parts store generic bushing, but that did not last long, as it came apart from the wiper transmission arm. I tried to fix several times again using parts store bushings, but came up with same negative results. There is no bushing available from Subaru, only they will sell you the entire wiper transmission unit for good reason. Apparently, when the wiper assembly is manufactured, the bushings are machine pressed in, and cannot be repaired or repaired very well. 

I finally replaced my wiper transmission assembly with a new one. Think I bought it from Rock Auto. Cost was $39-$59, something in that $ range, and now it is fixed. Trust me, replacing the wiper transmission assembly is the best repair for a permanent solution.

I think the problem begins when wipers get frozen with ice to the windshield. Turn on the wipers, and they won't move. Something has to give, so it is the bushings that either break, or get loose. Good idea to free up the wipers from the windshield, before ever trying to turn on the wiper switch.

^^^ yep, I have read of attempts to use Jeep/Chrysler/Nissan? bushings and parts from 'universal' bushing kits (Dorman? ) and some folks have found ways to make them work - often involving some delicate surgery with a dremel tool and/or epoxy. Many people can't get close to a good solution.

Just seems like a difficult repair.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks everyone for your help! I just now got around to the parts store. I decided to replace the wiper linkage bushing and I admit had to rig it a bit to fit right but now the wiper arm is secure and moves properly the problem is solved thanks to you guys