Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am flying down to San Diego to do a timing belt job on my buddies '96 OB because it's significantly cheaper than taking the car to a mechanic.  I ordered the Lisle cam seal puller, but it's back ordered and not expected to delivered until after this weekend.  I can use a pick, but I thought I would ask if anyone has made one.  I was thinking of modding a butter knife or copper tubing.  The copper wouldn't be a risk of scratching the cam shaft, but maybe somebody has a better idea (?)

I have removed seals from various things as folows: use a pick or other sharp thing and a small hammer to poke / start a small hole in the flat steel part of the seal. Then screw a long pointed sheet metal screw part way into the hole. Pry on the screw to lift the seal out.

• Like 1

+1 to both of these, if parking, gas, plane tickets are worth the cost then what's $14?

Hole in the outer flat section of the seal and then a screw into the hole +1 vote.

i frequently do that as well - create a small divot in the face - then self tapping sheet metal screws carefully in the seal face and use those to pry it out.