Ultimate Subaru Message Board

S/R to D/R, ATTN: NoahDL88 and others with bigger tires.

Guest uhohru

Guest uhohru

Hey Noah,

When you lifted your DL did you have the stock push button 4WD?

I have a '90 Loyale w/stock S/R push button 4WD and I find that turning 30's is VERY hard in 2wd, or 4wd.

If I'm not mistaken, 4HI is 1:1 and 4LOW is 1.4:1 geared?

In 2wd, its the same 1:1 on both S/R and D/R right?

So my question I guess:

With a D/R swap, in 2wd i will still feel the drag (loss of gearing) on road, but in 4LO, it makes up for it offroad?

Just a note: Its VERY hard to turn 30's in 4HI

Any input on S/R or D/R conversions would be nice as well. Also, could people running bigger tires (26 inches or bigger) reply with what trans they are using.

Thanks.

Guest SOOBME

I am runnin' 27" w/ the DR 5spd, @ 70MPH I'm turnin' 3000 revs, and in Lo-range it is geared nice for off roading. My dif's are 3.90:1's and I think that the gering is good. But with 30" tires, that could change things alot. U are right about the Lo-range gearing on the DR trans, its right around 1.4:1, and the push button is 1:1 all the time.

Guest uhohru

Just to let you know,

I have a 1990 Loyale SPFI S/R trans NO-turbo.

I had on 235/75R15 National XT 6000's ? (30x9.00R15)

The gearing was completely gone with that big of tire, 4HI wasnt very useful either.

I'm considering buying the 27x9.50R15 Super Swamper SSR's. Would these tires turn alot easier than my 30" street tires? Should I consider D/R conversion now for 4x4 use? I found that on stock (165X80R13) tires, the problem of not having 4LO was no big deal really, but with the bigger mud tires I'm sort of concerned about not having 4LO because of how the 30" tires felt.

Any opinions on this?

Guest bythesea

You'll never regret going to a D/R and if you can do it yourself it's cheaper than buying four new tires. You need the tranny with it's wiring harness and most of a complete D/R shifter with boot and console piece. It's amazing how much you need that low range off road and frankly on road in deep snow conditions. The single biggest technical issue is that one wiring connector is male/male or female/female(I forget) so you have to splice one in from the old/new harness to get everything working unless your'e lazy like me and put tape over the ECS light rather than splice the wire :)

Guest uhohru

Thanks bythesea,

I will work on buying/scoring a D/R setup.

I'll post when I'm ready to do the conversion.. BTW: do you know of any links that show pics on this D/R conversion?

Thanks alot.

Guest uhohru

Also, Ive heard an EA81 motor will bolt to a EA82 trans, and EA82 to an EA81...

Would it matter which D/R i use?

I see Noah88DL used a GL tranny, used from an EA82 for an EA82...

Guest bushbasher

get an ea82 5 speed D/R. They have an extra gear, and have more gear reduction in low range than the ea81 4 spd dr, I think it's 1.51/1 or 1.59/1 vs 1.4/1.