Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c shuts off, then works if I start the car again

I have an 2001 OBW H6.  I replaced the expansion valve and vacuum pump out my high and low side before recharging.  Most of the time the A/C works fine, but five times or so the compressor stops mid drive, usually with in minutes of starting a commute.  I can get the A/C to work again by just stopping/starting the car.  Any ideas?  Of course one time this occurred when my wife was driving it.  I love this car, it only has 107K.  It's the youngest suby I ever had...

thanks

Mike

hmmm....the car must be stopped? have you tried just turning the a/c system off-on ?

there is a 'rev sensor' in the H6 comp. But try searching for that, I think the failure symptoms don't match your issue too well.

some folks have replaced a/c relays for being 'weak'....

how much refrigerant did you put in the system?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Turning off the car seems to do the trick.  I've tried turning it off, running thru the different setting, auto, econ, defrost.  When I charged the system I didn't touch the clutch nor the relay. I usually jump the relay but this time with the long vacuum pump on each side, I ended up just adding refrigerant and the clutch came on getting up to working pressure. I was careful to watch my gauges, but I didn't weigh my refrigerant.  I did over add and my clutch was shutting off.  I let some out and got it the clutch to stay on.  I'll put on the gauges today and see if has too much.  I'll get a new relay too.

thanks

If the clutch gap is too wide you should be able to tap the face of the clutch with a screwdriver handle and it should engage.

You could also check voltage going to the clutch to see if the clutch coil is being energized. If the coil is not being energized then you have a problem elsewhere such as a relay or faulty sensor.

If the coil is being energized but the clutch doesn't engage then its likely the gap is too wide.