Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have just recently gotten back into wrenching on Subarus again. It has been a little bit since I have done any gasket work and I want to make sure I have good information before I start laying down hard earned money for parts.

1. I am looking to put together a frankenmotor with a 97 or 98 2.5 DOHC shortblock and 95 2.2 heads. Both EGR compatible. I understand I need to use 2.5 oem head gaskets. I have heard some recommend gaskets for a 2.5 turbo engine for this application, but have not heard a specific part number or vehicle type to order turbo gaskets for.

2. I believe I am correct that the remaining gaskets needed can be sourced aftermarket without issue, keeping in mind that cam and crank seals need to be the brown rubber, not the black. Fel-pro etc. ok for valve cover, intake, exhaust, oil pump, etc.?

3. Oil separator seal- Grey RTV good? I'm installing the steel oem replacement.

4. I read the thread on the Gates timing belt kits. Any other recommended aftermarket supplier manufacturer/supplier?

5. Different vehicle- 2006 Forester NA 2.5 SOHC- It is due for timing belt again coming up on 200k miles. Head gaskets are seeping oil at a slow rate. Minor annoyance, but I will probably do the head gaskets and timing belt all at once. I have never worked on one of these engines but expect it to be similar to the 2000 and 2002 sohc 2.5s I have done timing belts on before. Anything else I need to do while I am in there? Do I need to pull the oil pump and check the screws? anything else? Turbo or NA head gaskets? OEM or aftermarket?

6. The head gasket tightening steps? The information in my old Haynes manual I don't believe is accurate. Can someone post the head torqueing instructions for my 97 and my 06 please?

You can use the turbo gaskets for the Frankenmotor but you need to punch some holes in them to line up the coolant ports in the 2.2 heads. Also pretty sure the 2.2 head bolts are longer, so you need to use those with the 2.2 heads .

Cometic makes a custom gasket for that specific build. You can call them to order it.

Other gaskets and seals tend to be fine when purchased aftermarket.

Ultra grey or mega black are my two favorite for the separator plate. I generally use whichever I have. I've also used anaerobic sealant there before and had no problems.

The Best timing kit will have NSK or Koyo idlers and an NSK tensioner. Use a Mitsuboshi or Subaru belt. Aisin water pump. If you use the two piece old style tensioner get an Aisin tensioner piston.

Some people use Paraut water pumps and say they are high quality. I like the Aisin pumps since they come with the OE style gasket.

You should use the Turbo head gaskets on the NA 2.5. They have a reputation for lasting longer.

Haven't heard of the oil pumps having issues on the newer engines, but it won't hurt to pull it and check and put a new o-ring behind it.

Head bolt sequence should be out in internet-land. All the ones I've seen recently are correct to my knowledge.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1