Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a 1999 Subaru Forester with bad catalytic converters(according to CEL scan and my mechanic).

The last time i had some exhaust work done for exhaust leakage a muffler shop cut one of the pipe-to-cat.convert  rusted flanges and welded. My mechanic can't weld so i go to muffler shop. They want $750 to install new cat. converter. They won't consider me buying the part, at way less, and them doing the work. I get the idea that muffler shops won't do that. Any suggestions on who I might get to do that and what about eliminating the flange on the other end with a weld?That would mean removing  flanges on the cat. converter?.Should i just bite the bullet and get the work done??

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks 

Nashville TN is a good size city, so there is probably a small muffler shop that dos the cut, bend, weld approach to repairing a muffler system. If like where I live in Indy, the small shop is generally family owned, and located in a lower middle class neighborhood. They do a good job, fix what is only broke, and charge for only the work that needs to be done. It is the big chain muffler shops that want to replace everything from the exhaust down pipe to the end of the tail pipe, no matter that much of the exhaust system is still in good shape. I am guessing your quote of $750 is from one of those chain stores.

Suggest you shop around. Likely you will find a good cut, pipe bend, weld style muffler shop, and be happy with their work for hundreds less then $750.

P0420 code? there can be other reasons for it to be on than a bad catalytic conv. Even a simple exhaust leak.

But, if your mechanic knows his stuff, cats can go bad and yours is fairly old.

Just ask him if he feels certain this will get rid of the code, and what he's prepared to do for you if it doesn't. Or consider a second opinion, for $750 it may be worth paying for a second diagnosis if the problem is something simple like a vacuum or exhaust leak.

If the car runs well and the cat isn't clogged, that codes is benign and, if TN doesn't emissions test a '99, you could just drive the car as-is.

A. you can ignore the P0420 code - it's benign and you can drive the car 100,000 miles - it is impossible for it to cause any issues.

B. make sure the car is running properly first - what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

C. as said shops charge about $100 - $150 to weld in a converter or muffler - add costs of aftermarket part and it should come out to half of that $750 quote or less. 

i think you can get converters for like $150 and weld them in for another $150 - that's only $300.

D. find a used take off exhaust to start afresh with usable flanges and maybe a converter.