Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know if there is really a difference between different priced short throw shifters. they range from B&M around $300 to random brands at like $45

i would like one but not for $300. has anyone had any success with a less expensive shifter.

I put a $14 one in my 2002 Forester. It was just a replacement shift shaft. Shorter and the shift linkage hooked a little higher on it.

Throws were definately shorter, and shifting was more 'crisp'. No more rubberery feeling of the longer factory shifter.

Only down side was the are no insulators on the short shaft. It attached with the bolt thru a roller bearing assy, so you could feel the engine and tranny vibrations more thru the shift assy.

But I am pleased and would spend the $14 again......Fould it on Ebay.

I also got mine from E-bay about 2 years ago. It was less than 30 bucks total.

took my 30 mins to put in and haven't had any problems with it.

IMO get the cheaper one. The concept of a short throw shifter and I don't see the advantage of paying more for a "name brand" shifter.

BW

I got one for $24 on Ebay for my 97 impreza. Couldn't beleive the difference in the throw length. Not only was the shifter shorter, the portion below the pivot bolt was longer. This is what I beleive made the most difference in the shifts. I also adjusted the clutch engagement point so it would catch lower and now I can change gears in half the time it took me before.

Cant you saw the one in there shorter and put a different knob on it?
That would make the shifter shorter but not change the leverage. A short throw shifter moves the shift linkage connecting point so that it takes less travel of the shifter to change gears.

It makes a huge difference in the crispness of shifting.