Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You guys missed out today.

ezapar

There is my problem with jeeps.They are the easy button of the offroad world.If something can't be done with a stock jeep then throw money at it until it can,nothing on a jeep is partially durable or stout the only thing they have going for them their size.Axles are weak and are routinely changed out,They are underpowered until the 4.0 is ditched in favor of a SBC. Anything that makes it a jeep is changed out with alarming frequency for better parts.

Toyotas,suzukis,hell even subarus are reasonably strong and stout because they were designed not with a massive aftermarket in place to fix the various shortcomings so every part had to be overbuilt to handle any thing thrown at them.That shows in how much stock components will hold up.Subaru parts are almost bombproof when subjected to 27-29" tires and stock gearing,its only when twice the power and four times the torque is fed to them that they become problematic.Stock toyota axles can handle stout V8 power when at best they were only designed for an underpowered V6.Jeeps on the other hand explode with tires that are one size bigger than stock with a locker,but for reasons unknown people see that not as a reason to abandon the Heeps but to throw cubic dollars at it.

While a jeep may be capable out of the box it takes an exponential jump in terms of money/parts just to get them any better.Even something like a standard 4" lifted subaru with a welded rear diff can hang with a jeep on all but the gnarliest rock trails.Something more capable like a stock toyota or suzuki will run circles around a jeep offroad.

That is my problem with jeeps,they are nothing more than the single most expensive POS's on the planet but through some miracle a massive aftermarket has popped up to fix the junk.Back when people started offroading subarus if they broke with the same frequency as a stock jeep than the whole offroading subarus thing would have never gotten off the ground.Now as it stands subarus are among the top 3 vehicles taken off the showroom floor and driven offroad.

Ubaru.  Wrong thread.  And I KNOW that everything you know about my ride you read on the internet.  Cuz nothing you said is true about my Jeep.  Go get yourself a Rubicon TJ, drive it for 3 years, wheel the hell out of it and then come back here and talk out of your rump roast like you are now.  Dana 44s front and rear.  Stock.  My Jeep has a 3 inch lift to clear the 33s.  Otherwise it is stock.  And it will kill whatever car you spend the next however long it takes you to get on the road when it comes to offroad.   

JesZek.   It was a joke, Scott was leaning on my Jeep goofing around.  lol   His pretty awesome buggy is farther down the line.

post-129-0-61026100-1473041264_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

... JesZek.   It was a joke, Scott was leaning on my Jeep goofing around...

Oh, sounds like you all had some fun this weekend, wheelin' around.  :) 

Jeeps are my Father's favourite cars from always, he wanted an in-line 6 cylinder one with short wheel base, but sadly he never owned a true Jeep, however he has an Asian Turbo Diesel, dual range, Huge wagon from those that you only see in Australia, Latin America, Africa, etc... but never in the USA.

Here in Honduras, the Land Cruisers from Toyota, the Patrols from Nissan, Land Rovers and many Jeeps (among many others, mainly asian makes) are in local 4X4 clubs, and I go wheeling with them sometimes, (Mine is the one and only Subaru among them), they competes in the anual 4X4 clubs' competitions and have fun with the whole family on adventure mountain wheelings, on weekends also.

Kind Regards.
  • Like 1

Ubaru.  Wrong thread.  And I KNOW that everything you know about my ride you read on the internet.  Cuz nothing you said is true about my Jeep.  Go get yourself a Rubicon TJ, drive it for 3 years, wheel the hell out of it and then come back here and talk out of your rump roast like you are now.  Dana 44s front and rear.  Stock.  My Jeep has a 3 inch lift to clear the 33s.  Otherwise it is stock.  And it will kill whatever car you spend the next however long it takes you to get on the road when it comes to offroad.   

JesZek.   It was a joke, Scott was leaning on my Jeep goofing around.  lol   His pretty awesome buggy is farther down the line.

I didn't read all of my information from the internet.Some of my friends have jeeps,but non are the rubicon. So I was going off my own personal experience with those.You know those jeeps that came with dana 30's and no lockers.Other than your rubicon I've never seen a rubicon offroad,they are usually pavement princess around here.

• 2 weeks later...

Stock jeep axles are fine until people do crazy stuff off road, put on way to big of tires, or they just don't know how to drive. I have a friend who has been building custom axles for over 20 years and he gets tons of jeeps into his shop with bent axle tubes from the tubing wall being to thin. The way yours is set up is perfect to drive on and offroad. I wish we had a Oregon group going around where i'm at. Tons of places to go around Mt. Hood.