Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone! 

I am currently in the market for a new car. I have always admired Subaru's and the brand as a whole and have come to the conclusion that I would love to own one and join this great community.

Right now the two Subaru models I'm most interested in are the 2006-2008 Subaru Forester XT and the 2006-2008 Subaru Legacy GT's.

I think both cars look great and I'm sure either would make me extremely happy. 

However, I was wondering if any of you veterans who may have owned/been around these two models could give me any buying advice, and maybe give me you take on why you would take one over the other.

Thanks for any help you can give me! 

HI and welcome,

Visit the specific sites: Subaruforester.org and legacygt.com for more info.

Both are nice cars, w/a couple BIG potential gotchas. Both use the EJ255 / 2.5 turbo engine, which is very similar to the EJ257 used in the STi. This engine has a history of blowing ringlands on the pistons, among other things. The VF40 turbo on the GT can also die an early death and take out the engine. The TD04 turbo in the Forester isn't immune to failure either.

YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST  get a compression AND leak down test done before you buy either car to help rule out engine issues...still no guarantees.

If you can't get a detailed maintenance history, do NOT buy. 

Both cars have higher maintenance costs than a non-turbo. If you don't have a budget to fix it do NOT buy. 

I'd prefer the H6 / 3.0 6-cylinder engine version of the Legacy or Outback over the turbo version. Similar performance w/hopefully less pain to to the pocket (book).

Seriously.

TD

Edited by wtdash

Having owned an 05 LGT, and replacing the engine, turbo, all four wheel bearings, all four struts, sway bar end links, and the engine again. I'll say I will never own one of them again. They have problematic wheel bearings, the turbo is garbage. And whoever at Subaru decided it was a good idea to put screens in the oil banjo bolts needs to be beaten.

If I ever buy a 05+ Subaru again it will be an h6 powered model.

• 2 weeks later...

Owning a 2005 OBXT has been a costly proposition for the miles I've driven.  I bought it 2.5 years old with 56,000 miles on it.  This car is only for those that have deep pockets or can do their own repairs. Full suspension, turbo plus all necessary oiling system upgrades and replacements, catless up pipe and decatted down pipe.  These models have plenty of foibles. Thankfully I can do all my own repairs and they are still costly! Also it is not driven in winter and only 6000 miles a year, total miles on car 96,000. My next one will be an 09 6 cylinder and it will still need a full suspension upgrade to be the car it should be.