Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head gasket potential issue

If you like an oily, messy engine that smokes off the exhaust manifold, stinks, etc then go right ahead. No one is stopping you. 

It's not a matter of oil leakage - the leaks never amount to enough to have to add. If you are adding it's either the PCV valve or the rings. It is NOT the HG's. Fixing them will not result in ANY change the level of consumption. 

Once you look at the cost of doing the FULL 105k with all timing components, valve lash, etc - it's only about $1k more to do the HG's at the same time. If you use the 642/770 you won't have a recurring failure. If you use the old 633 gasket then you are absolutely right - don't bother. 

GD

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

If you like an oily, messy engine that smokes off the exhaust manifold, stinks, etc then go right ahead. No one is stopping you. 

It's not a matter of oil leakage - the leaks never amount to enough to have to add. If you are adding it's either the PCV valve or the rings. It is NOT the HG's. Fixing them will not result in ANY change the level of consumption. 

Once you look at the cost of doing the FULL 105k with all timing components, valve lash, etc - it's only about $1k more to do the HG's at the same time. If you use the 642/770 you won't have a recurring failure. If you use the old 633 gasket then you are absolutely right - don't bother. 

GD

Thanks it appears that I misunderstood you...

You are saying with the stock gaskets, it will fail after 40k but with the STI gaskets mentioned (642/770) it will most likely never fail again. 

I thought you said that no matter what it would fail after 40k. so you can see my point in wondering why bother. 

As for the 40k miles "death" of the original spec HGs (if refitted) I can confirm this - although our vehicle is a country car, 90% of it's travelling since we got it is open road at cruising speed. So at about 80k km we've found that bloody lhs head gasket leaking coolant externally.

Not. Happy. Jan.

I'm aiming to have my sister (it's her car) monitor the fluid levels then replace the HGs with a new timing belt kit once near the belt change interval.

Cheers

Bennie