Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Brat project

So here i am 2 years later. i had found a 1978 brat for 1200$  2 years ago but was out bid at the time. i never thought id come across another brat in the midwest. recently i stumbled on another 1978 brat for 1000$ but i got him down to 700$.

this Brats history: this 1978 model brat was bought by the owner from a dealership in the late 70's. it enjoyed light country driving for 100,000 miles until the owner became to old to drive it. it was then parked in there lawn for two years where mother nature could bite at its steel panels. other than body rust and interior wear in tear the engine runs fine. when i looked at it with the owner we opened the hood and poured gasoline into the carb. it started right away after sitting for 2 years. 

i didnt a good look at the frame or the floor but im hoping its not a rusted beyond repair under it. half the exhaust has been eaten away 

well any way heres the pics. 

i only have one bucket seat for the rear. the driver window is gone need a new one. the rear fender arches are probably rusted beyond repair and will need new panels. 

so does anyone have any advise for this project? any passing words of wisdom.

post-55747-0-59165100-1473178138_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-47671200-1473178147_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-09029700-1473178155_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-32023700-1473178164_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-13751600-1473178173_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-75531200-1473178179_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-75723300-1473178187_thumb.jpg

post-55747-0-19167800-1473178193_thumb.jpg

Lift up the carpet and check floor from top and bottom, check your wheel wells, I think you can pull the ash tray out and peek under the dash to check for wire damage from rodents, check in portland craigslist, there is a 78 junk brat for parts and you can look elsewhere for a door window, are a few ideas

figured out the fuel pump today. the car started right away and idled like it was 1978 again. drove it around the block transmission is good and the 4wd works. 

the drive highlighted some critical issues that need to be fixed.

-only the driver side front break works. e-brakes work

-the front driver side drive shaft is rubbing the steering linkage making the wheel jerk as if it was torque steer. 

good things that became apparent: 

- the AC completely works 

- the radio still works 

-the signals all work along with the dashboard lights 

aka most the factory wiring has not become chewed away by rats. 

• 7 months later...

Haven't seen or heard of it. Have to become good friends with a welder or start learning yourself. That is what I did. 

Also something to check is the gutter in front of the windshield that catches all the water, just below your wiper assemblies. Make sure you clean those out. They have a issues with stuff getting stuck down there and holding moisture and creaturing rust. 

Pull the spare tire out and the two metal pieces of the body mold together where the spare tire sits and you will be able to see if you have any rust. 

Bubba , looks like a good project you have there.

Now that Martha doesn't own it anymore it should be a great little buggy.

Where NB mentioned for sure. All early Subarus suffered that area. Don't be afraid to remove your dashboard.

Another area is the front fenders up top. You might want to take those off and remove any foam tape stuff you might see. Subaru put that there for squeak suppression. But it holds water and rusts those fender tops even in dry climates.

I just parked my old 78 4WD wagon probably for life now. The brake lines were a big issue. Protect them as best as you can.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...