Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Gl Wagon Upgrade Help

First of all i beleive the engine in the 88' is an EA-82 correct me if i'm wrong, what kind of upgrades can i put into it or what would be a good replacement motor that would bolt up to my current 5spd tranny? Anyone be able to estimate a cost for an engine swap...? Just looking into it, I havn't done anything yet...

Some info from board members that have installed them

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11592&highlight=delta+cams+thread

yes, easiest to call them. I believe Jerry is the fellow I talked to. They generally have a set ready to ship and you can send your's in as cores. This is great because of the lack of down time. I had my motor apart and sent my cams to be reground. Took about 6 days with shipping both ways.

garner

should i send mine in or order whole new ones?

whats the best way to go?

shall i get new lifters also...?

I read that other thread and it said that some that just cleaned the used lifters well used them and they didnt do anything in the area of ruining the engine

Also i've got the EA-82 engine

If you have the time, send your's in. That way you know the cams and carriers are used to each other and tolerances should be maintained.

As for lifters, mine were beautiful, your's are probably the same. I believe you can send them in and they will inspect/correct if needed. It is a good idea to re-install the lifters in the same location as you removed them, same with the hydraulic lash adjusters(HLA). Also when you remove the HLAs, store them submerged in oil or ATF so they stay pumped up until you re-install.

gluck

garner

Thanks to everyone who replyed so quickly and for all the help, i plan on sending mine up w/ the rockers to inspect them i'm also calling Delta Cams today + calling the guy i'm buying the heads from. Big day and thanks again for all the help. I'll keep posting updates on the project