Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 4speed d/r VS ea82 5speed?

Rnasty

So the 3at in my 92 loyale is slowly going up the creak, engine has some valve and leaks some oil but is mostly still good. Now all I have access to for parts cars are an 91 loyale and an 84 GL. The 91 loyale was drivable a few months ago but the tranny seemed sloppy, the 84 GL while not ideal has dual range so I'm tempted to put its 4speed in my loyale.

I hear the 4speeds suck though so I'm wondering is it worth it for D/R or should I use the 91s 5speed? This car is already slow so I'm not worried about that, maybe an EJ swap in the future when my engine nukes. It's a daily/ATV and the trails around me are extremely crap due to the Florida like rain we got this year. This is why I'm really set on the D/R. Even if it's a harder swap and needs brackets built, not to much of a problem.

So anyone have a rightup on this type of swap? Found lots about putting a 5speed in an ea81 but nothing about a 4speed d/r into a ea82.

Hi This is Jerry, the 4 speeds suck compare to the 5 speed trans find a 5 speed dual range trans bolts in. Want to know more call me 509-952-2855 Thanks Jerry

Ideally I want to do just that but I haven't found a 5speed d/r yet. The cars I can take parts from are at the landfill and free. Should I go with the 91s single range 5speed? What exactly is so bad about the 4 speeds?

Also there's a EJ awd 90s legacy sedan that a tree or something fell on. Can't get a good look inside to see the tranny but is there anything I should try to salvage off of it?

Edited by Rnasty

What exactly is so bad about the 4 speeds?

Aside from the archaic lame drive-ability and lack of available service parts, they have some annoying reliability issues. The linkage design wears poorly and gets very sloppy, the synchros 2-3 are often worn (grind), input shaft bearing failures, sloppy front diffs, etc.

My thoughts are if you do not have an EA82 5 speed dual range and you offroad go with the 4 speed dual range. I feel it has a very decent low range. Shifter slop is an easy fix, did my well over a decade ago and is still very tight. I have nearly 240k on my 4 speed dual range and except for a very minor rear seal leak it has been good. I have changed the oil a few times over the 19 years I have owned it!! Now just use MT90 and add about 8 oz a year.