Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c belt adjustment-what am i missing?

when i got this 1989 gl ea82 wagon with dealer installed outboard a/c...the prior owner had no belt on it..i have ordered two different sizes...(napa #17480 and autozone #17450) one is about 45.25'' (WAY too tight...other is close to 48''...WAY too long...but slips on...)for the life of me i cant seem to find any adjustment idler or anything on the pump itself..

anybody know? or am i possibly missing an adjuster of some sort? pump seems to be mounted solid...thanks in advance! appreciate the help and patience with this newb...ima learning!

post-62173-0-02226200-1475270332_thumb.jpg

Can you find something like a 17470? Measure with a piece of sash cord and match it up on the parts store's belt measuring tool. Hope that helps. If one of our members has a car like yours, the input of what they have would be appreciated. My car is an '84 with no a/c, unfortunately.

I had one with the ac out by the battery. Napa had a belt that just fit. Had to put it on the big sheaves first, then cheat it onto the fan. Then tightenter by moving the compressor. The next longer belt was too loose. Watch out for the output terminal on the alternator. Forget looking it up in the application guide, that didn't work. I saved the cardboard ting with the number on it until I retired that car. All of my others have the alternator closest to the battery.