Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale won'f fire

Got a 91 Loyale that ran fine before I parked it late spring. The car had a mice population living in the hood so I have left the hood open all season, we have had lots of rain. I put a battery in it & when I tried starting it, the car started briefly than just died on me, I tried for about 45 min turning it over, pumping the pedal, letting it sit. A month later....yesterday I tried to fire it up again & it did the exact same thing.

I am thinking condensation, also it sat on a angle all summer, with low fuel, possibly leaving the fuel pump exposed to air, or close, but maybe not the gas guage is below 0, I put in some fresh dirt bike gas mixed with oil maybe 5 L than another 5-8 L of regular gas, I just put another 6 L of pump gas.

Would all the rain do some damage? I think it's a fuel issue, is there any way to bleed the system?

It is a fuel issue, I put some fuel into the carb & it will run for a few seconds no problem. I took off the fuel filter, blew it out, now when I turn the key, it should prime the lines if the pump were operating no? also how do you check the fuel pump to see if it is working? or is there sensors that tell the pump to send fuel?

how much fuel would come out of the line while cranking? there seems to be none. There aren't any sensors at this point, or other lines that could be the culprit? I thought the fuel filter would fill up again at least a little. What if it sucked air while trying to start it with little to no fuel and on a slope?

I had one get flaky, and tapping the case with a screwdriver handle made it start running, so I got it home where I could swap in  a working one.

I never heard of one sucking air / loosing prime.  As far as I know, if there is a decent amount of fuel in the tank, it will get to the pump. 

If you find it is running, but not moving fuel, I'd carefully pull the inlet hose, and see if fuel comes out.

codswallop this forum is awesome, I did hook up the test connectors, it worked, I knocked on the fuel pump and bang it started, so I sold the car. The next day after work fell through and having a 1200 km journey home, the car died on the high way in a sketchy place to be, right where the highway splits. Well the ol' set screw on the distributor roar, had I not of just read about it trying to get my other car running I would of been stuck a lot longer. Thank you once again members & ultimatesubaru for getting me back on the road!!!